PDA

View Full Version : sorry for the stupid question!?

bigtallsam
09-06-2007, 01:56 AM
howdy all, hope your well

i'm cringing while i type this because i SHOULD now the answer to this question!

where is the oil filter located on my 525i

it's dark and raining outside and i've done a quick search. i can't remember seeing it anywhere last time i was under the car

regards and sorry again for such a newb question

s

2fast
09-06-2007, 02:08 AM
I have a 535 so not sure about your car have a look here and see if it helps

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/gen_maintenance/oil_service.htm

94_e34_525i
09-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Its right above your alternator, its in an alumnium case with a cap that has a bolt.

bigtallsam
09-06-2007, 02:17 AM
DOH!

i knew that, feel like an idiot for asking now

thanks fellas!

what oil are you guys using, out of interest?

regards

s

bmwrp8
09-06-2007, 03:09 AM
castrol magnatec on mine 20w-40. but i guess you should use synthetic.

whiskychaser
09-06-2007, 08:34 AM
DOH!

thanks fellas!

regards

s

10/40 semi synthetic. In your new filter box you should get new 'O' rings for the filter bowl and spindle and a 'copper' one for the sump plug

bsell
09-06-2007, 12:19 PM
DOH!

thanks fellas!

regards

s

Mobil 1 0W-40 (as per the manual's recommendation).

Otherwise, I would run a Pennzoil dino-oil product like I run in my wife's Sable. I've had good service out of Pennzoil and like the idea that the oil they use is supposed to be a paraffin base (no sludgey crap like asphalt-based dino oil).

The only good reason to run a thicker than recommended oil for the expected temp range is to quiet an older engines noises. In a healthy engine, all that thick oil is doing is robbing you of gas mileage while it wears out your oil pump due to the pumping friction when cold.

Brian

Brian

94_e34_525i
09-06-2007, 05:21 PM
Oil is a topic that has been discussed here a world over. Personally I use synthetic, I recommend a heavier weight like 40 over the 30 cuz u can have a potential for bigger leaks. Notice I said bigger, using synthetic on an engine that never received it can cause leaks, but dont be alarmed at most its just seepage from the valve cover, especially on the M50. Anyway, i used Mobil 1 10W40 high mileage great stuff.