PDA

View Full Version : Shifter shaft feels hot...

artguy
09-05-2007, 06:59 PM
I seek the advice of the gurus once again...:)

I noticed tonight that the metal shaft of my AT shifter was quite warm. Almost to the point it was uncomfortable to touch it.

Today was a 90 degree day, but this thing never cooled off tonight as I went for a little drive.

What's going on?

Dave M
09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds about right.

If you tear open the shift console (easy with a manual, don't know about the auto) you will see why things get hot. Actually, you will likely also see the ground. Exhaust heat and tranny heat bakes the shift linkage. There is only a small amount of sound proofing material to separate the working end from the comfort end.

Have a look at this ]old post (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=5143&highlight=hot+shift) I found with a search ;)

Dave

artguy
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Gracias Dave M, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a major problem brewing. I guess I will label it as a "heated center console".

Sam-Son
09-05-2007, 08:40 PM
yeah I noticed the same thing with my auto...good thing its getting torn out:D

Alexlind123
09-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Gracias Dave M, I just wanted to make sure I didn't have a major problem brewing. I guess I will label it as a "heated center console".

Turn the A/C on and you will have a cooled center console. The ducts must run through it to the back, because it gets really cold when i have the ac on.

Qube
09-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Quit rubbin' yer shaft when driving and it won't get warm...

Sam-Son
09-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Quit rubbin' yer shaft when driving and it won't get warm...
funny

The Bigfella
09-06-2007, 04:52 AM
Has the rubber bush perished?

artguy
09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Sorry. This car is new to me...is this a part or a clever joke?

TIA

Has the rubber bush perished?

Ross
09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Nope, there are bushings in the shift linkage. You'll know when they are bad.

artguy
09-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks Ross. If I'll know...then I think they are ok. Using the AC does make a difference. The air must flow right through there to the rear vents.

The other day when I noticed the heat, it was pretty warm outside and I was puttering around town with the windows down and no AC...just cooking my shifter. :D

Nope, there are bushings in the shift linkage. You'll know when they are bad.