PDA

View Full Version : M5 differences.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-05-2007, 04:10 PM
So after 22hrs on watch I drove home and still awake, decided to fit refurbed M5 wheels to TDS.Bad move, first one on,solid on strut, need spacer, no problem, fit spacer,easy-peasy.Go to other side,fit M5 calliper, bleed and on with wheel, easy. At this point the wheel lock bolt rolled gently across the floor and down the drain, down three feet to a slurry pit. Now have a wierd set of brakes and wheels,why did I get up this morning???????

Ferret
09-06-2007, 03:29 AM
So after 22hrs on watch I drove home and still awake, decided to fit refurbed M5 wheels to TDS.Bad move, first one on,solid on strut, need spacer, no problem, fit spacer,easy-peasy.Go to other side,fit M5 calliper, bleed and on with wheel, easy. At this point the wheel lock bolt rolled gently across the floor and down the drain, down three feet to a slurry pit. Now have a wierd set of brakes and wheels,why did I get up this morning???????

Argh, you've lost the bolt or the removal tool? o.O

Paul in NZ
09-06-2007, 04:13 AM
so the tds,s have different wheels to other e 34,s?

genphreak
09-06-2007, 07:17 AM
So after 22hrs on watch I drove home and still awake, decided to fit refurbed M5 wheels to TDS.Bad move, first one on,solid on strut, need spacer, no problem, fit spacer,easy-peasySounds like e36 wheels to me... what m5 calipers did u fit? Or maybe the M5 arms have a narrower track... the hubs are different too, and the brakes! Weird... what mods have you done exactly?

repenttokyo
09-06-2007, 07:28 AM
you know, Kennedy looked good in the back of a 4 seat convertible.

whiskychaser
09-06-2007, 08:29 AM
I thought that was November 22nd. Must be missing something?

repenttokyo
09-06-2007, 08:47 AM
I thought that was November 22nd. Must be missing something?

it's in reference to the original poster's sig.

whiskychaser
09-06-2007, 09:26 AM
it's in reference to the original poster's sig.
Moral - open eyes before mouth. My apologies:)

repenttokyo
09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
no worries :)

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Sig was stolen from the book of Clarkson! Fixed lock problem with spline drive, snap-on driver and hammer, can be done.Seems to me that M5 E34 struts have about 13mm more offset than both 535 and 525TDS struts, tried both.Face of rotor is same thickness so am lost for answer.535 was early so ABS sensor was in different position,hub was slightly different but it fitted.Now going back to TDS legs and will build them properly with Sachs inserts, Eibach -30 springs,M5 `91 brakes and new bearings, late M5 bi-metal rotors will fit and were cheap via Ferodo for once.Got an independant engineer to give car a once over to avoid throwing good money at wreck, full compression and oil pressure after 295k is a testament to good build quality,try that with a new one without bumpers, do designers ever drive in the real world???!!!

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Saga continues. M5 brakes are exactly the same diameter as 535/525 but twice as thick, could prove it with photo`s if I was clever enough. It all fits but carrier bolts are a different thread,found 4 in stainless boat bin,all fitted but Textar pads faded in twenty miles,now fitted Jurid M5 pads, heavy pedal but no fade and progressive pedal.Assume M5 master cylnder is different bore ,hence heavier pedal? Old M5`s in scrap yards are about and all suspension will fit, should have got roll bars as with more rubber car, car rolls more but grips like **** to a blanket,the Ring beckons! Thanks to all on Forum, the best help about. Volvo (old) forum is like watching paint dry!

Sam-Son
09-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah but that didn't last too long