PDA

View Full Version : Some stereo install shots

etcetera
09-04-2007, 11:00 PM
Here's a few shots of my stereo install. Still a few loose ends to tie up in the trunk, but it's getting there.

Blurry shot of the NAK CD400. Looks good in the dash.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5066&stc=1&d=1188966907

Infinite baffle TC-7 install. Using Ski Bag hole.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5067&stc=1&d=1188966907

2 shots of the trunk. Old school Sony ES xm7557 (4x75 + 300 or so for sub at 2 ohms)

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5068&stc=1&d=1188966907

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5069&stc=1&d=1188966907

It sounds pretty good for a low budget set up. The amp and sub are used, the headunit was Ebay, and the front speakers (not pictured yet) are from partsexpress and madisound. I'm not running rear speakers.

etcetera
09-04-2007, 11:03 PM
OK, that's annoying that the preview and actual post don't look the same.

Sam-Son
09-04-2007, 11:25 PM
Is the stereo a standard size? because I'm considering ditching the stock cassette player and getting somethin newer

attack eagle
09-04-2007, 11:29 PM
yes, standard DIN size. thanks to you Germans for giving us a standard size for in dash radios....
I love it!

Bin_jammin
09-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Is the stereo a standard size? because I'm considering ditching the stock cassette player and getting somethin newer

Highly recommend yanking out the stock head unit. I just installed a JVC KD-G820 that I picked up at best buy. It was originally 259, marked down to like 190, I asked the dude if I could have it for 100, his manager said sure. $105 out the door and it rocks. Stock speakers, ran the sub out to my sneaky pete in the trunk, and it sounds pretty damn good. No doof-doofing from the trunk, just some decent low end.

Anyway, you'll enjoy the features of a new radio, trust me.

Sam-Son
09-05-2007, 12:06 AM
Highly recommend yanking out the stock head unit. I just installed a JVC KD-G820 that I picked up at best buy. It was originally 259, marked down to like 190, I asked the dude if I could have it for 100, his manager said sure. $105 out the door and it rocks. Stock speakers, ran the sub out to my sneaky pete in the trunk, and it sounds pretty damn good. No doof-doofing from the trunk, just some decent low end.

Anyway, you'll enjoy the features of a new radio, trust me.
Yeah my father just got a new radio installed in his '91 Alfa and I looks really clean and it has an Ipod jack. he bought it and intaled it all for less than 200 at circuit city. I'm seriously considering doing the same once I get my car back

Milkboot
09-05-2007, 12:52 AM
Before you decide let me take some pictures of a new head unit we are carrying at work, its kind of hard to explain but, I will take some pictures tomorrow and do a dry fit in my car or Snakeyes' while at work and see if it does fit

But its a 4.5 or 4.8" touch screen controlled 1 din head unit :) the whole removable face is about the size of a older game boy advance, so the screen is part of the face plate, dont have to worry about motors going out for a motorized screen. Thinking about getting one this paycheck since my older JVC just needs changing out for the sake of change.

BigKriss
09-05-2007, 03:40 AM
my sub is setup like yours, did you install it on a new board?

etcetera
09-05-2007, 12:50 PM
my sub is setup like yours, did you install it on a new board?

I used a piece of 1" MDF for the sub, it's the same size as the factory press board with carpet and insulation piece that covers the seat support on the trunk side. I also covered both sides of the metal with a peel and stick aluminized roof patch and then with a fibrous carpet padding. There are no rattles. Also the rear deck got covered with the same stuff both sides and a piece of 3/4 mdf screwed to the underside to firm it up.
I sealed every hole that was left with spray foam. The trunk is totally isolated from the car now. There is also less road noise from the rear.

I was pretty skeptical that the IB setup would sound good, but it does, I'll never go back to a box.

I couldn't find a matching grey carpet, so I went with black.

Dr. evil
09-05-2007, 01:15 PM
damm that is one big ass amp. some maufactures don't like for the amp to be upside down if they have a intergal cooling fan. RCA cables get any static like that?

Macv
09-05-2007, 01:50 PM
mmm love the 'through the seat' some of you guys do.

Sam-Son
09-05-2007, 04:51 PM
mmm love the 'through the seat' some of you guys do.
Yeah that's pretty hot I'd like to have a hole there just so I can fit skis or a new exhaust through there:p

Milkboot
09-05-2007, 04:53 PM
DAMN! vendor was out of stock of those head units so i was not able to pick up one and take it back to the office :(

Dr. evil
09-05-2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah that's pretty hot I'd like to have a hole there just so I can fit skis or a new exhaust through there

the hole was there on my car, it's cut kinda like a stamp you just have to cut the rest or pust it thru

Sam-Son
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM
the hole was there on my car, it's cut kinda like a stamp you just have to cut the rest or pust it thru
Yeah I have the same thing I was wondering why it was made so flimsy. Once I punch it through there's no way to seal it up

etcetera
09-05-2007, 06:22 PM
damm that is one big ass amp. some maufactures don't like for the amp to be upside down if they have a intergal cooling fan. RCA cables get any static like that?

The amp is a monster. Some say one of the last great sony amps, I don't know. I picked it up for around $150 on ebay. I had bad alternator noise due to a ground loop, easy fix. Then there was still some noise, due to the speed sensor in the differential. It goes away with real RCA cables, right now I'm just using some of the original wires from the factory headunit to amp with RCA connectors on them. Believe it or not it's almost silent now that I adjusted the gain on the amp. I have some nice shielded signal wire, just haven't gotten around to running it.