PDA

View Full Version : Easy headlight replacement instructions needed

spitfire
09-02-2007, 04:46 PM
I have read how to replace the high and low beam lights but there is got to be a better way, anyone out there have first hand knowledge? Cheers

John in CT
09-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Nope, you need to remove the grills, the body colored piece below the headlights ( a royal pain, use wood wedges to avoid scratches) then have the replacement nylon pieces from the dealer because yours are old and fragile...Once you do it it doesn't seem so bad but you need to go thru all the removal process to reveal the bolts holding the headlight holders from the car itself, i didn't see any options, sorry.

John
1995 525i 5 speed one new headlight.....

gale
09-02-2007, 07:42 PM
This is from an e32. I forget the differences between it and an e34

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/headlights.jpg

If I remember correctly, one or more of the item 10 screws (green) also hold the turn signal light.

The nylon clips that John is referring to are 6, 7, & 9. They are brittle as he says. Might help to warm them with a heat gun or hair dryer & maybe a little WD-40. If you succeed without breaking them, rinse off the WD-40, it will attack the plastic over time.

Also, transfer your old chrome rings (item 5) to your new headlights, new rings are insanely expensive.

attack eagle
09-02-2007, 09:17 PM
one you have done it once, it really isn't that bad or complex a job.

Dave M
09-02-2007, 09:34 PM
This is from an e32. I forget the differences between it and an e34

No major diffeence that I've noticed. They are, however, mounted slightly different, with the e32 being much easier to remove/install (far less F'in with trim pieces).

Dave

attack eagle
09-02-2007, 09:41 PM
IIRC I am actually using e32 headlights and mount in my e34.
Once you get that one scew that is a real bear on the driver's side (the one that requires moving the reservoir) out, jsut don't use it gain. That is the only hint i can give you. That and the fact that a 1/4" drive rachet and 1/4" socket, or a 1/4" wrench can take a phillips bit and get some of them where clearance is a major issue

Jehu
09-02-2007, 09:49 PM
One trick is having 10"or longer screw driver to push a tab down which releases that center body trim piece. . Theres a little recess in the Signal which allows you to push the tab down from above after removing the screws also inside the center kidney's there are similar plastic tabs which you need to depress ,screwdriver or such which were what i foudn was neccesary to do simultaneously while pulling out on the whole trim/grill assembly. Everything else is essentially self explainatory once you have the two sides out. Also be carefull not to touch the bulbs with your bare hands if you plant to reuse them but likewise if isnatlling them new. They burn right out if touched.

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/9710/trimremovallx0.jpg

Andrew
09-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I just replaced my headlight assemblies last weekend without too much hastle. This is roughly the procedure that I followed: http://home.comcast.net/~winstonfong/repairpagessite2/frontgrillremoval.htm

except I removed the bumper first.

Whenever I need to remove the kidney grill, I first remove the bumper which is MUCH easier than it sounds. There are 4 (19mm???) lug nuts under the black trim on each side of the license plate.Remove these nuts and disconnect your fog lights, then pull the bumper straight out. You will be able to see the tabs holding kidney grill from beneath the car. The rest is just unscrewing the headlight assemblies... the screw that attaches the parking light to the fender is hard to see, but once you feel it, you should be able to get a screw driver in there.

I hope this helps!

I have read how to replace the high and low beam lights but there is got to be a better way, anyone out there have first hand knowledge? Cheers

ironie
09-02-2007, 11:42 PM

Hopefully this will be of help
http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34594
Regards
Ron

bmwrp8
09-03-2007, 12:10 AM
Nope, you need to remove the grills, the body colored piece below the headlights ( a royal pain, use wood wedges to avoid scratches) then have the replacement nylon pieces from the dealer because yours are old and fragile...Once you do it it doesn't seem so bad but you need to go thru all the removal process to reveal the bolts holding the headlight holders from the car itself, i didn't see any options, sorry.

John
1995 525i 5 speed one new headlight.....

x2!!! pain!

attack eagle
09-03-2007, 05:09 AM
x3 I jsut changed mine in the dark.

hint: put the little nylon clips on the ball studs first, then put the headlights in.
throwing them in some hot water also helps