PDA

View Full Version : 525TDs Manual Conversion? Yes or No?

Ferret
09-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Okay, so I'm getting fed up with the crappy fuel economy of the auto box around town, which is keeping the engine constantly on the turbo rev range.

I've spotted this:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150156404561

The E36 was fitted with the same 260/Z unit as the 525tds - and at £45 for a box I'm ready to snatch the guys arm off.

If he comes back and confirms the 260z tag I might just buy it anyways.

Hopefully this is where Barney becomes helpful and lets me buy the clutch pedal bits off his parts 535i :)

I'd need to yank a propshaft off a 525i manual and find a flywheel and clutch kit.

Do we think this is too much damned effort or do I go for it? It'll take me a while to get this sorted as I've gotta shell out for all new rear suspension this month then two tyres, but that gearbox seems to be a steal...

Sam-Son
09-02-2007, 12:04 PM
You know what everyone (apart from my fellow E34ers) said I was nuts for wanting to spend all that money and convert my car to a manual. well It's being done anyway. I'd say go for it. Autos suck

whiskychaser
09-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Had the same thoughts when my 5HP 18 gave up the ghost. I did a quick back of the fag packet calculation on what it would cost for a new clutch, a flywheel and prop, pedal box etc against a good used auto. The auto won hands down and was a straight replacement. The deciding factor was that I drive trucks for a living these days and when I'm not working I want an easy drive. Just did Manchester to Stonehenge and back and averaged 28mpg but round town I dont like to check the OBC:) . But its fairly quick - my partner refuses to put it in 's' and hit the kickdown :) You either want an auto or you dont - I can imagine you being pretty pissed off if you put in another auto and wish you hadnt. Be interested to know the outcome

Karl
09-02-2007, 01:58 PM
When the auto transmission in my 525i died, a friend sent me a link to a guy who was parting out an e36 -- the thought being to get all the related bits from a donor car. But the 525i is momma's car and she didn't want to mess around with a conversion or the time the car would be down, so the slush box went back in.

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Best turn up with the spanners and get to work! If you bring a pavement cutter then you can get it out the quick way. You will need to get a move on,why not take the whole thing, then all you will need is a flywheel?

Barney Paull-Edwards
09-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Just re-read your post,ashore next weekend so come and get all you want. going to breaker soon after,rear suspension/shocks good.