PDA

View Full Version : Shifter boot with a weird plastic ring

Kibokojoe
09-01-2007, 07:31 AM
Just got a box of goodies from Pelican Oh Yeah.... Anyway I got a new shifter rubber boot because the old one rotted from all the heat. The shifter boot (THIS IS NOT THE COSMETIC LEATHER BOOT) has this weird plastic ring hanging off of it. Its about 5 to 6 inches in diameter and appears to be nylon. Anyone know what this ring is for?

gale
09-01-2007, 09:06 AM
It's for pulling the rubber boot thru the tunnel. I forget which way it goes -- pull up thru the bottom or pull down thru the top. I think it's the former. Anyway, the nylon ring (is it green?) is just for helping to get the lips of the boot around the tunnel opening. Then you can cut it off with a pair of snips.

Getting the boot seated in the tunnel is the easy part. Fitting the shift lever properly into the center of the boot is where the fun begins.

Kibokojoe
09-01-2007, 04:49 PM
The ring is a white nylon. I guess I better get out into the garage and see how this baby fits. Hope I don't have to pull this thing through the bottom. Sounds like you would have to have the shifter out to do that. I will let you know

Ken

It's for pulling the rubber boot thru the tunnel. I forget which way it goes -- pull up thru the bottom or pull down thru the top. I think it's the former. Anyway, the nylon ring (is it green?) is just for helping to get the lips of the boot around the tunnel opening. Then you can cut it off with a pair of snips.

Getting the boot seated in the tunnel is the easy part. Fitting the shift lever properly into the center of the boot is where the fun begins.

Kibokojoe
09-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Just put some liquid dish soap on the part of the boot that slides over the shifter rod. Slid the boot over the shifter and pushed the lower two rings on the boot through the tunnel and then gently pulled up and pushed in on the boot with my fingers until the sealing ring (second ring) came up through the tunnel and sealed all around. I took the nylon ring off before I got started. Unless I am doing some wrong.That was way too easy.

I now see how you could use the nylon ring to set the boot. Once you have the two rings through the tunnel you could pull up and spin the nylon ring around the boot which would pull the sealing ring through the tunnel and properly set the sealing ring on the tunnel.

Thanks for the info