PDA

View Full Version : Red paint fade

ktteoh
08-30-2007, 03:52 AM
folks, why do red paint fades more easily - what is the scientific basis?

any particular e34 red paint code that is more "hardy" towards fading?

Morgenster
08-30-2007, 04:02 AM
folks, why do red paint fades more easily - what is the scientific basis?

any particular e34 red paint code that is more "hardy" towards fading?

Any red paint with a decent clearcoat or the newer metallic ones will do better.
I don't think red paint fades easier than others and it's an optical effect making it easier to see oxidation on red paint. Much like it's easier to see dirt on black cars:(

Paul in NZ
08-30-2007, 04:02 AM
the red pigments are more susceptible to fading....

BuckNaked
08-30-2007, 05:24 AM
The fading is actually a bleaching damage caused by UV exposure. Red just happens to be the most prone to bleaching from exposure to sun. There isn't going to be a red that is 'hardier', it's just a matter of protecting the paint from exposure. Garage, car cover, clearcoat, wax.

califblue
08-30-2007, 11:57 AM
I have owned several RED cars and you have to keep them waxed and out of the sun. Not bad for 15 year old paint:D

http://www.labusas.org/photopost/data/500/medium/P1013217.JPG

P.S. everyone knows the Red ones are Faster and Handle better too;)

repenttokyo
08-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Calypso red doesn't seem to fade as badly as the bright reds.

Podmore
09-01-2007, 01:04 AM
The dull pinkish appearance of old weather worn red paints is not really "fading"; it's accumulated oxidation, and as pointed out above, whilst all paint oxidises to some extent over time, red tends to show it up more readily (pun intended) than other colours. A good cut and polish will remove the oxidised layer of paint and reveal the original colour in its former glory, and then a protective coat of wax will further extend the life of the paint. Of course, eventually continual cutting and polishing will remove all of the paint .... so prevention is better than cure. Use wax, garage the car, or use a car cover, and regular washing to remove surface contaminants will all extend the life of your paint. Many modern automotive paints and all metallic/pearl paints are clear-over-base with a clear coat which is UV stabilised and these will resist oxidation better than 2-pak solid colours such as reds, whites and blues.

BMWCCA1
09-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Calypso red doesn't seem to fade as badly as the bright reds.Well, that would seem to confirm the value of clearcoat finishes, right? But I'll bet it chips much more, doesn't it?!

repenttokyo
09-01-2007, 09:12 AM
hmm, i don't have anything to compare it to chip-wise, but my hood is extremely chipped.