PDA

View Full Version : Does the Coolant Level Sensor trigger if...

Jehu
08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
you have TOO MUCH coolant as well as too little? I am soemwhere losing coolant at the rate of it seems a pint or so every maybe 800 miles and see no leaks but when the Coolant Leve warning appeared today I filled it to overflowing with the car running,it was literally spilling over the neck when i screwed the cap on yet tonight i get the coolant level message again and upon opening the expansion tank i see the level is still up in the neck certainly well above the indicated full level.. Cars really are one thing after another,huh?

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2007, 06:32 PM
check the sensor, and it's wiring and plugs.

It's a float type so it should be off once it's immersed

gale
08-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Ditto. The real kicker is it won't trigger a low coolant message while driving until AFTER you stop & turn the key off. Never understood that one. The only warning you'd get from a coolant loss while driving is when the temp needle goes into the red zone.

Milkboot
08-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah, Dont remind me :P out of all the messages that one seems to scream the most.. well outside of Trans program :P

timandbim
08-30-2007, 05:35 AM
is it part 13?

Ross
08-30-2007, 07:14 AM
Jehu's car is a V-8 so the coolant tank is on the firewall, the sensor is in the cap.
No, overfilling doesn't trigger the warning.
Jehu, Check to see if the float hasn't broken off the sensor.

Jehu
08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Jehu's car is a V-8 so the coolant tank is on the firewall, the sensor is in the cap.
No, overfilling doesn't trigger the warning.
Jehu, Check to see if the float hasn't broken off the sensor.

I had checked the senso and the white float is free and intact I am just about to go out so we'll see what we see today... When i get time i'll have the coolant system pressure tested for leaks.

RX7guy
08-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I think I read somewhere that the coolant level sensors on these cars go bad pretty regularly. I don't remember where I read it.

Jehu
08-30-2007, 07:09 PM
I'm gonna guess its shat the bed.It was coming on every time i started the car today yet the level was plentifully supplied. $30 bucks at the dealer... I don't see how they work. Does that floating collar interact with a light senor and when it falls below a certain point the signal is broken tripping the warning? I mean how does it work?

gale
08-30-2007, 09:04 PM
The float is a magnet that lifts an inner ferrous rod up to close a microswitch.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-30-2007, 09:10 PM
The float is a magnet that lifts an inner ferrous rod up to close a microswitch.

I thought it was a magnet and reed switch

Jehu
08-30-2007, 09:17 PM
I see nothing touching or in any position to be contacted by the float so i guess its a ceramic magnet and the switch is inside the stem.Very sophisticated and i feel better about spending $30 for a new one now.. thanks..

bmwrp8
08-31-2007, 01:57 AM
Ditto. The real kicker is it won't trigger a low coolant message while driving until AFTER you stop & turn the key off. Never understood that one. The only warning you'd get from a coolant loss while driving is when the temp needle goes into the red zone.

same problem here...for as long as im not losing coolant and not over heating i've learned to live with it...change the sensor already still the same..