PDA

View Full Version : E34 150K bumper-to-bumper tune-up almost complete

onZedge
08-29-2007, 02:30 PM
I could call it a life extension tune-up, but regular maintenance is EVERYTHING! I have at least 80 manhours into this so far. I can only imagine what a BMW service center would have charged to do what I did, or even do what I did. Hell, they charge my wife for a cabin air filter three years ago. The filter was missing when I went to replace it!

I went well beyond testing and replacing all the Inspection I and II topics. I replaced all of these additional bad or out-of-spec items:

Throttle Position Switch (replaced with new Bosch unit)
Ignition Coil (replaced with new Bosch unit from E34 M5)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (replaced with new Bosch unit)
DME Relay (replaced with new BMW unit)
Blower Relay (replaced with new Bosch unit)
Fuel Pump Relay (replaced with new Bosch unit)
All vacuum lines and hoses (virtually all were rock hard)
All Fuel lines front to back
New Bilstein TC's all around
All new Energy Suspension sway bar and link bushings (expecting delivery Friday)
New PS pump tensioner bracket on order (damaged by PO)
New Voltage Regulator (replaced with new Bosch unit)

Did I mention that the headlights absolutely suck - I haven't got around to researching replacements units yet - any ideas? (I did read the modified bulb threads but I would rather get e-code units)

I even replaced the missing 8/10mm wrench in the on-board tool box with the correct BMW part.

The list of things I originally planned to do was literally on the back of a scrap of paper, but quickly grew to a four page 8 point font spreadsheet. If anybody wants me to, I will post the file here as soon as I revise it, in hopes that it will help someone elses endeavor.

repenttokyo
08-29-2007, 02:36 PM
that would be really helpful if you could post it. I'll be hitting 400 000 km soon.

Denton
08-29-2007, 04:08 PM
If you really want to do headlights right, get the Euro smileys and research HIDs.

repenttokyo
08-29-2007, 04:59 PM
what is the big advantage of the euro smileys? And would we need to install a ballast to do HID's?

Denton
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
what is the big advantage of the euro smileys? And would we need to install a ballast to do HID's?

The Euro smileys have a sharper, more defined cutoff than the U.S. ellips.

I believe each ballast would be included with a decent HID kit.

94_e34_525i
08-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Without the ballasts the HID wont work. They have decent kits on ebay for about 100 bucks. Im thinking of buying one, but i dont like the idea of not having my highbeams.

repenttokyo
08-30-2007, 08:38 AM
why no highbeams?

onZedge
08-30-2007, 05:23 PM
-deleted-

repenttokyo
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
still don't understand...