PDA

View Full Version : Does Clay Work On Water Spots...

JMI
08-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Does Clay Work On Water Spots on Windows?

Thanks

MTechnik540i
08-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Does Clay Work On Water Spots on Windows?

Thanks

No.

It sounds dangerous, but I've had great luck w/ Rubbing Compound and Steel Wool.

If the Steel Wool gives you the willies, just try some elbow grease and Rubbing Compound. You'll be surprised w/ the effects.

gale
08-28-2007, 10:20 PM
Vinegar works very well for getting water spots off of our boat. If you need something stronger, they sell industrial strength cleaner for water spots at RV/marine shops. If you're just doing the windows, a razor blade will work. When you open a fresh one, lay the blade flatwise against the glass and lean it up at a very slight tilt and push the side of the cutting edge down. This will put an ever so slight curl on the edge so it won't cut into the glass and leave scratches. We use this at work for pealing dried paper off of acrylic & lexan sheet, with WD-40 as a lubricant and if your'e careful, it won't even scratch plastic. Use soapy water as a lube to clean the windows with a blade. Tint shops will use a blade to super clean windows prior to applying the film.

indierthanthou
08-28-2007, 10:25 PM
be REALLY careful using that blade though. theres a big chance of scratching the glass if it doesnt have your complete and undivided attention, especially since the window is curved slightly. it does work good, though, i use 4" blades often when i clean windows, just remember, keep the window WET wet wet, and PRESSURE is extremely important. and everything must be in complete control.

Tiger
08-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Bon Ami on glass is safe... make sure it is wet and pasty before you use it on window.

uscharalph
08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
Good tips!

Morgenster
08-29-2007, 02:52 AM
I've tried claying two weeks ago: it works marginally. If the water spots aren't fresh use soap then vinegar then soap again all the while with fresh water (not tap). Polishing with rubbing compound will also do the trick.
One trick is to use the vinegar in a half vinegar half water mix in a spray bottle. It's a pretty good pre-cutting cleaning action before you get into polishing with compound. The clay will remove a lot of the other stuf but water etching (and bird dung) can be surprisingly hard to remove.