PDA

View Full Version : Steering problem....Help please

Tony777
08-28-2007, 12:03 PM
Hi All, I have a problem with my wifes 525 td. When I drive it, the steering is fine for about two to three miles and then after that, when I turn right or left, it creaks and groans:( . I have turned the engine off and turned the steering wheel and it still creaks and groans. There is no excess play in the steering and it does not wander or anything. The noise of the creaking and groaning is certainly a head turner:D . After about twenty minutes, the car is fine again. I have put it on ramps and had my wife rock the steering but everything seems fine. I cannot find any play in the steering at all. I have also made sure there is plenty of grease on the top suspension mount bearings. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know before I pull the rest of my hair out!!

glen-sj
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM
You did not mentioned if you've checked if the fluid level in the P/S reservior is low.

Bin_jammin
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi All, I have a problem with my wifes 525 td. When I drive it, the steering is fine for about two to three miles and then after that, when I turn right or left, it creaks and groans:( . I have turned the engine off and turned the steering wheel and it still creaks and groans. There is no excess play in the steering and it does not wander or anything. The noise of the creaking and groaning is certainly a head turner:D . After about twenty minutes, the car is fine again. I have put it on ramps and had my wife rock the steering but everything seems fine. I cannot find any play in the steering at all. I have also made sure there is plenty of grease on the top suspension mount bearings. If anybody has any ideas, please let me know before I pull the rest of my hair out!!

Get some white lithium grease and spray down everything, one at a time. This will allow you to isolate things as the noisemaker. I'd suspect strut bearing plates, they may be greasy, but they can still make noise when they go bad.

Tony777
08-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Yes, the power steering fluid is ok and I have also changed the fan belt as well. I thought it may have been that. The noises also happen with the engine turned off so I dont think it's the power steering.

mamilapon
08-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Could be your strut tower bearings.

RX7guy
09-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Tony, did you figure it out? My steering has this horrible creaking also.