PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel decomposing on a '95...

TC535i
08-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Need to get a new wheel, the leather has worn thru to some kind of crumbly rubber underneath. I have a 95 with the colored roundel on the airbag cover, can I get basically any wheel out of, say, an E36, and just swap the outside ring, reinstall my airbag, and be good to go? I know the early E34's have the E30 hub, but I don't know if there's any difference between the wheels with colored roundel airbags vs. black vinyl airbags.

Anybody know?

Evan
08-28-2007, 11:53 AM
there are differences in the wiring... I tried putting a 95 steering wheel in my 94... the wiring is slightly different... you may be able to change connectors and make it work.. post about it if you do!

cheers,
evan

indierthanthou
08-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I have an extra steering wheel for my 89, not sure if it will fit yours, and the airbag connector is melted, so you would have to swap them out, and the leather is a little worn (but not too bad) but if you want it, $20+shipping and its yours

TC535i
08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
there are differences in the wiring... I tried putting a 95 steering wheel in my 94... the wiring is slightly different... you may be able to change connectors and make it work.. post about it if you do!

cheers,
evan
Never taken it apart, is the wiring part of the airbag? I could re-use my airbag and just change out the "outside" ring, which is what I was planning on doing.

Does using my own airbag avoid the connector issue? Can I swap my airbag into any E36/late E34 wheel?

E34N
08-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I'm heading to a junkyard this weekend.. apparently there are several e34's there. Want me to see if there are any good condition (1995) wheels?

Sam-Son
08-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I have an very very good condition 95 airbag wheel with the colored center and the airbag intact never been used:p

TC535i
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Guys... I don't really want to spend $$$ on a wheel + airbag when I can just change the ring out :)

If there's any really cheap ones at the yard I'd appreciate it, if they'd sell it without the airbag (usually the most expensive part of the wheel...) I'd prefer that... AKA a wreck where the bag deployed but the wheel's still good.

Anybody know if I can JUST change out the ring?

632 Regal
08-28-2007, 07:40 PM
yes thats all you need to do.

Anybody know if I can JUST change out the ring?

Evan
08-28-2007, 10:42 PM
again, no you cannot... the connectors are slightly different..

i think the airbag connector is the same... get your wrench out and compare

Evan
08-29-2007, 08:06 AM
I reread this and yes you can reuse your original airbag.. that's what you mean, right?

EDIT: the wheel you buy must be a 95... they changed slightly from 94-95 model years...

EricB
08-29-2007, 09:12 AM
*slight topic derail*

Why does my car have a BMW logo embossed in black in the center of the airbag, and some steering wheels appear to have a colored roundel as mentioned above?

Did someone peel it off of mine at some point before I owned it?

*/end derail*

Denton
08-29-2007, 12:27 PM
*slight topic derail*

Why does my car have a BMW logo embossed in black in the center of the airbag, and some steering wheels appear to have a colored roundel as mentioned above?

Did someone peel it off of mine at some point before I owned it?

*/end derail*

'95 got the colored roundel and a few styling changes on the steering wheel. Same dimensions though.

Tim: I'd pick up an E36 M3 4-spoke for ~$100. I think you just swap out the slip ring...that topic has been covered.