PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol injection complete - awesome awesome awesome

Jon K
08-27-2007, 11:57 AM
So today my friend Jay and I worked from about 930 - 5 and got a TON of **** done. I did a lot of powder coating for **** other than the car (amplifer for the car, desktop PC tower case for the house), powdercoated the charge pipes wrinkle black and plumbed and wired the methanol injection and its now complete.

I got on the highway going home from Jays (about 1hr or about) and started logged. Car felt notably stronger which was a good kick in the pants. If you want to know my opinion.... this **** is freaking ridiculous!

My intake temps go like 8 degrees under ambient and then climb only to... 90 - 92 max! Not that my IATs were very high to begin with, but I the datalog I have here is about 35 minutes into driving, having hit traffic on PA turn pike, getting back up to speed and then ripping on it.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Screenshots/methanol.JPG

Few things to note - the AFR are definitely rich. I am running about 60% methanol. I went from being about 11.5 - 11.6:1 AFR on 93 octane fuel. Now when I go wide open over 5 psi I am about 10.2 - 10.5:1 AFR. That confirms my ~60% methanol estimation because 50% methanol yields a 0.5:1 AFR change. I am running the 475 rwhp jet and have the 600 rwhp jet on hand. Once I add the nitrous, I may swap in a 250 rwhp jet for water and keep the 475 rwhp jet, as this will make for nice atomization of the alcohol/water in the cooler pipe as well as add enough fuel/water/alcohol to handle everything.

Now the cool(er) part!

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/Screenshots/antilag.JPG

I tried out antilag in boredom to see what the methanol kit would do as boost built in neutral. Here you see antilag from about 4100 RPM. What you see is a SUDDEN metering of 198 kpa (14.2 psi) in NEUTRAL. Just like if I had sitting at a light, rev'd up to 4100 and pressed antilag. This is freaking amazing - I previously could only make about 6 - 8 psi with antilag on this large turbo. You can see in the datalog that I dumped the clutch and went with it in 4th gear - it was a nice rush.

I really recommend this **** to everyone boosting their car. If you are on a chip tune, that sort of sucks because you will NEED to pull fuel or you'll be rich. Everyone else, this stuff is CHEAP, fun, and damned effective!

Booster
08-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Great news there Jon. I want to do this to my Syclone first,then the 5 whens its boosted and MS'ed.
Amazing how well alky can cool things down.
Cheers,Vinny

Jon K
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah vinny I am really pumped (no pun intended)! I love driving the car that much more. I really need to crank the timing up and have at it. This weekend comes nitrous.

Booster
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Yeah vinny I am really pumped (no pun intended)! I love driving the car that much more. I really need to crank the timing up and have at it. This weekend comes nitrous.

I wish like heck you'd dyno at the current set up. I really want to know where it sits for my own selfish goals!;)
The Nitros will be staged I guess ??:)
Vinny

Jon K
08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
I wish like heck you'd dyno at the current set up. I really want to know where it sits for my own selfish goals!;)
The Nitros will be staged I guess ??:)
Vinny

Nah just a single 50 shot. Its going to spool my turbo instantly, so I will be spraying from 3,000 rpm til about 5200 rpm.

Booster
08-27-2007, 06:03 PM
Nah just a single 50 shot. Its going to spool my turbo instantly, so I will be spraying from 3,000 rpm til about 5200 rpm.

Nice.No lag shot.

Jon K
08-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Yep :) Later I may stage another 50 hp or so, but for now, I want to start small.

BigKriss
08-27-2007, 06:57 PM
why didn't you get megasquirt to control the water injection? I think I asked you this in another thread, but didn't remember the reply.

Macv
08-27-2007, 09:18 PM
Will you give me a ride if we ever meet? Seriously.

Jon K
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
why didn't you get megasquirt to control the water injection? I think I asked you this in another thread, but didn't remember the reply.

Because the MS requires a PWM controllable valve, not a pump and solenoid. So what happens with MS is you turn the pump on and you PWM modulate the valve. With the Snow kit, you pwm modulate the pump, and there is no valve, just a solenoid and a nozzle.

This is far cheaper - Snow Stage 2 with the larger tank and upgraded solenoid was $505 with local tax (bought it locally!). The Aquamist nozzle, the one needed in order for mS to control it, is $255 alone... and I still have to add $60 for a tank, $100 in fittings and nozzles, lines, and about $150 for a pump. Then, I have to figure out how to control it.

It's simple with the stage 2 kit. I set the "on" psi and the "max" psi and it controls it between those two points smoothly.

Jon K
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Will you give me a ride if we ever meet? Seriously.

Sure

Macv
08-27-2007, 09:55 PM
That was easy, will you let me drive?

Jon K
08-27-2007, 10:01 PM
That was easy, will you let me drive?

Unlikely

632 Regal
08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Hahahaha!!! +1
Unlikely

Macv
08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Heh... you can drive mine. :D

Milkboot
08-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I can has drive?

BigKriss
08-28-2007, 12:39 AM
thanks

Because the MS requires a PWM controllable valve, not a pump and solenoid. So what happens with MS is you turn the pump on and you PWM modulate the valve. With the Snow kit, you pwm modulate the pump, and there is no valve, just a solenoid and a nozzle.

This is far cheaper - Snow Stage 2 with the larger tank and upgraded solenoid was $505 with local tax (bought it locally!). The Aquamist nozzle, the one needed in order for mS to control it, is $255 alone... and I still have to add $60 for a tank, $100 in fittings and nozzles, lines, and about $150 for a pump. Then, I have to figure out how to control it.

It's simple with the stage 2 kit. I set the "on" psi and the "max" psi and it controls it between those two points smoothly.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-28-2007, 01:53 AM
I am bypassing the intake injection and going directly to the driver.

Wow, what a rush!...the car is still parked in the garage and I feel like I am flying!

ryan roopnarine
08-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I am bypassing the intake injection and going directly to the driver.

Wow, what a rush!...the car is still parked in the garage and I feel like I am flying!

d00d, ure gettin a pac bell! i thought that everyone would have tossed out those abominations by now. i know around here that people have stopped tossing out packard bells and started throwing away acers and IBMs from 1997.

Ross
08-28-2007, 11:07 AM
Jon,
I'm curious about the mix you are using and if you've tried straight water.

Jon K
08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
Jon,
I'm curious about the mix you are using and if you've tried straight water.

Straight water is not desirable. It will cool the intake charge and combustion but does not increase your effective octane at all and so you are putting all your chips in one bag - metaphorically. What is usual is a 50/50% mix, or some people running washer fluid will actually have a 30-40% methanol content. You will often see people like my self ramp up the methanol content from 50% to 70% and even 100% methanol when shooting for huge numbers. To run 100% water you'd actually have to do some math and reduce the size of your jets as water does not compress/combust like 50/50 mix, and so you could very well hydrolock your motor running a 450+ rwhp jet with straight water.

Dr. evil
08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
are you injecting it before the compressor impeller? Usally this is how its done on some aircraft, helps atomization.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-29-2007, 12:50 AM
d00d, ure gettin a pac bell! i thought that everyone would have tossed out those abominations by now. i know around here that people have stopped tossing out packard bells and started throwing away acers and IBMs from 1997.

It's a sleeper....just a Pac Bell box and power supply, mother board is new with a flat screen

BigKriss
09-20-2007, 10:53 PM
How much would running straight water help though compared to no water injection what so ever? Surely running straight water is significantly cheaper.

Straight water is not desirable. It will cool the intake charge and combustion but does not increase your effective octane at all and so you are putting all your chips in one bag - metaphorically. What is usual is a 50/50% mix, or some people running washer fluid will actually have a 30-40% methanol content. You will often see people like my self ramp up the methanol content from 50% to 70% and even 100% methanol when shooting for huge numbers. To run 100% water you'd actually have to do some math and reduce the size of your jets as water does not compress/combust like 50/50 mix, and so you could very well hydrolock your motor running a 450+ rwhp jet with straight water.

Jon K
09-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Kriss it costs me $11 to make 4 gallons of mix... that's < $3 a gallon to boost my octane.

Straight water sucks