PDA

View Full Version : Audio barely audible, but better when headlights on...

dlee
08-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey I'm having a strange problem in my '95 540i. One day the audio became very quiet, barely audible even when turned all the way up, and fuzzy. It gets slightly louder when I turn the headlights on...any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks,

David

repenttokyo
08-26-2007, 04:47 PM
sounds like your amp died.

BMWDriver
08-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Have you looked at the fuses? It sounds like the amp is dead or unpowered. While you're at it, check out this info and see if it fits:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/fusible_link.htm

dlee
08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the response, but I still don't know how to proceed. The volume issue is kinda intermittent and seems to be linked to when the headlights are on (very quiet, then when I turn on the lights, the volume kinda surges and is louder, but still pretty quiet).

Wouldn't a blown fuse be a works/doesn't work kind of problem? In any case, where is the fuse for the amp so that I could check it??

Thanks again.

BMWDriver
08-26-2007, 08:08 PM
The way you described it makes me think the amp is totally out, all the time, and that the headlights in the on position barely changed a thing. So, yes indeed, if it were a busted fuse, it would be dead all the time.

If you want a look at the fuses, there is a fuse box in the front engine compartment, and also another under the rear seat where the battery is. Look for a burned and opened wire (or cut is what it looks like) in those tiny plastic colored fuses. Germans do things well, and you should have a good plan on those with a description of what fuse is for what. Though I can't remember if I read them in English or German.

The black box in the engine compartment should be fairly easy to open. It should be close to the windshield, far left or right. The seat in the back can be tough to pull out. Just pull up real hard on one side, about middle of where one sits, and pop it goes, and then repeat on the other side.

If you find no faulty fuse, check the link above.

ILoveMPower
08-27-2007, 08:59 AM
Sounds like dead amp

Had the same problem in 91 M5, replaced the seemingly flawless amp with one from another car and everything worked fine again.