PDA

View Full Version : Timing chain cover question

Dash01
08-23-2007, 11:54 PM
An ETK drawing of the M30 engine for a '90 535i shows a screw plug and M14X18AL gasket to be installed at or near the upper left corner of the timing chain cover. Another screw plug is shown on the right side of the timing chain cover, about half way down and just below and to the left of the location of the water pump recess.

Do these screw plugs really exist, or is the ETK drawing wrong?

What is the purpose of these screw plugs and M14X18AL gasket?

If loose or lacking gasket, could coolant leak or seep into the timing chain housing and run down into the oil pan?

Bin_jammin
08-24-2007, 12:14 AM
What's a screw plug?

Dash01
08-24-2007, 12:26 AM
What's a screw plug?
Check the ETK. Presumably, it's a plug that screws in.

Bin_jammin
08-24-2007, 12:59 AM
hah... uhm... what's an etk?

I'm a mechanic, not a librarian ;)

Dash01
08-24-2007, 07:38 AM

ETK is the downloadable, online parts catalog with drawings commmonly used by dealers, parts suppliers, etc.. Amazing that a mechanic never heard of it, nor of a screw plug. Anyway, on this website it is common to refer to the ETK as a common reference point in discussions about parts and procedures, so we are on the same page, so to speak.

If I were better at posting pictures and illustrations, I'd attach the ETK illustration showing the fasteners for the timing chain cover on the '90 M30 engine, which shows a couple of screw plugs and a gasket. I'm curious if these parts actually exist (ETK is not always correct) and if mis-application of them could result in coolant leaking down into the oil pan.

So, would anybody here who actually knows about this, please chime in?

Dash01
08-24-2007, 07:42 AM

ETK is the downloadable, online parts catalog with drawings commmonly used by dealers, parts suppliers, etc.. Amazing that a mechanic never heard of it, nor of a screw plug. Anyway, on this website it is common to refer to the ETK in discussions about parts and procedures, so we are on the same page, so to speak.

If I were better at posting pictures and illustrations, I'd attach the ETK illustration of fasteners for the timing chain cover on the '90 M30 engine, which shows a couple of screw plugs and a gasket. I'm curious if these parts actually exist (ETK is not always correct) and if mis-application of them could result in coolant leaking down into the oil pan.

So, would anybody here who actually knows about this please chime in?

Bin_jammin
08-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I guess I'd have to see a screw plug to know what it is. It's probably something I've been calling something else forever. I've always worked at independent shops, things like the etk weren't exactly something we needed to keep around, considering computers weren't exactly prevalent back then. I'll see if I can find a copy for where I work now, reference is a lot easier to come by these days.