PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Size Help.... =/

BMW4LIFE
08-23-2007, 02:52 AM
hi guys and gals i was wondering if you can give me all the speaker sizes for a 1993 525i with premium sound...

thanks!

t.wak
08-23-2007, 03:03 AM
• Two 5.25" midbass in the front kick panels.
• Two 3/4" tweeters in the door pillars and two 2.5" midrange in the dash.
• Two 5.25" midbass and two 3/4" tweeters in the rear shelf.

www.bmwe34.net

Hope this helps.. .What are you upgrading to?

t.wak
08-23-2007, 03:05 AM
Oh, and my car hasn't got tweeters on the front door pillars, must be a US only kinda thing.

bmwrp8
08-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Oh, and my car hasn't got tweeters on the front door pillars, must be a US only kinda thing.

i think 525's don't have it...i don't either.:( but i think you could put one or retrofit the wires are just there

g7syw
08-23-2007, 05:58 PM
i think 525's don't have it...i don't either.:( but i think you could put one or retrofit the wires are just there

Mine has got the tweeters on the top of the dash where the mids should/would be - hmmmm!!

Dr. evil
08-24-2007, 12:36 AM
my 5er has the tweeter in the pillars.

great spot for the highs.

Dr. evil
08-24-2007, 12:52 AM
oohhhh yeah

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=34412&highlight=definitive+speaker

attack eagle
08-25-2007, 02:05 AM

Mine does. 10 speaker Nokia premium sound.

525SEI BRIT
08-25-2007, 03:04 PM
i have the tweeters in the pillars. UK 540.

not to hijack a tread but whilst were on speakers. are their any good but small free air subs around nowadays? i have an old Sony midi hifi with some great 6" subs. one of these would be more than enough for me in my car as i don't want to lose any boot space.

BMW4LIFE
08-28-2007, 09:07 PM
i have the tweeters in the pillars. UK 540.

not to hijack a tread but whilst were on speakers. are their any good but small free air subs around nowadays? i have an old Sony midi hifi with some great 6" subs. one of these would be more than enough for me in my car as i don't want to lose any boot space.

check out kicker products...they are sweet with great quality!

BMW4LIFE
05-27-2010, 01:48 PM
So I have got the $$$ to change out the speakers in the e34 but have some mixed size reviews...

it seems as though BMW has installed 5.25 but other members on different forums have talked about installing 6.5 without and problems with better sound

anyone here install larger speakers?

Tiger
05-27-2010, 02:29 PM
I did the whole 9 yard work. For the larger speaker... only in front by cutting out the speaker grill so the new speaker mount flush rather than underneath like factory(which is impossible).

I took a quick look at earlier postings... Kicker is not a good speaker. I recommends component speakers for front if you are going aftermarket amp. Two way 5.25" for rear. Now if you are using factory amp... then leave the back alone and install the component san crossover and just hook it up to speaker wires.

M20Turbo
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM

My 20yr old 525i does.....

BMW4LIFE
05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
I did the whole 9 yard work. For the larger speaker... only in front by cutting out the speaker grill so the new speaker mount flush rather than underneath like factory(which is impossible).

I took a quick look at earlier postings... Kicker is not a good speaker. I recommends component speakers for front if you are going aftermarket amp. Two way 5.25" for rear. Now if you are using factory amp... then leave the back alone and install the component san crossover and just hook it up to speaker wires.

I don't want to cut anything out...I want it to look OEM as much as possible.

As far as the speakers go...I want to get kickers just for the sake that I get 70% off retail...I still have the BMW factory amp installed so I just want to throw in some speakers without having to do a lot of work...

should I just stick with the 5.25 speakers and be done with it then?

I was looking at this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-+KS+5-1/4%22+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+Polypropylene+Cones+%28Pair% 29/9892303.p?skuId=9892303&id=1218190730921

or if I was going to go with teh 6.5

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kicker+-+KS+6-1/2%22+2-Way+Car+Speakers+with+Polypropylene+Cones+%28Pair% 29/9892394.p?skuId=9892394&id=1218190731888

Tiger
05-27-2010, 09:32 PM
Stick with 5.25"... so you just want to change the woofers on the car and leave the tweeters alone?

If so, then you might as well just buy the bass woofers instead of two way.

The way you are going is marginal improvement..

BMW4LIFE
05-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Stick with 5.25"... so you just want to change the woofers on the car and leave the tweeters alone?

If so, then you might as well just buy the bass woofers instead of two way.

The way you are going is marginal improvement..

okay so I'll give you all the detail and then tell me what you think

As far as the kick panels and the rear speakers go...I want to change them b/c they are blown and when I turn up the music sometimes I can hear then make a "wobbling" noise....that is why I just want to make a change

As far as the tweeters go...I have the ones that came with the car and they are nicely flushed by the mirrors on the corners of the doors and I can't find tweeters that I can change them with that will look the same.

Now the woofer...I will be getting the Kicker L5 12" with the IX amp that kicker makes...so I will have plenty of base...

The main reason that I will be changing the 5.25 is so that they can play music clearly...not so much for the bass!

Did that clear things up? Do you still think that I should get the 5.25? They are only $30 a pair.

Another thing that I was thinking is getting the comps for the rear and flush mounting the tweeters where the rear lights are (maybe behind or infront of them...not too sure...but I don't want to get too crazy with the install part)

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated! =)

BigKriss
05-28-2010, 07:17 AM
most of the sound should come from the front, so get some 5.25" splits for the front, that should take care of the front speakers, but i dont know what you will do with the door tweeters (i dont have them), leave them connected to your new setup i guess.

Punch out the ski pass area and stick a sub in the boot.

rear speakers, just get the same size you had before and hook them up also.

get a knob to adjust the volume of the sub though - i think that imporart

okay so I'll give you all the detail and then tell me what you think

As far as the kick panels and the rear speakers go...I want to change them b/c they are blown and when I turn up the music sometimes I can hear then make a "wobbling" noise....that is why I just want to make a change

As far as the tweeters go...I have the ones that came with the car and they are nicely flushed by the mirrors on the corners of the doors and I can't find tweeters that I can change them with that will look the same.

Now the woofer...I will be getting the Kicker L5 12" with the IX amp that kicker makes...so I will have plenty of base...

The main reason that I will be changing the 5.25 is so that they can play music clearly...not so much for the bass!

Did that clear things up? Do you still think that I should get the 5.25? They are only $30 a pair.

Another thing that I was thinking is getting the comps for the rear and flush mounting the tweeters where the rear lights are (maybe behind or infront of them...not too sure...but I don't want to get too crazy with the install part)

Any feedback or opinions would be appreciated! =)

Tiger
05-28-2010, 07:53 AM
I know all about BB EPPI pricing.

Major sound is all in the front. So you need to get 5.25" component speaker set. Install the woofer as it should in the kickpanel. The tweeter... you can change them out by prying the original tweeter out of the housing and glue the new tweeter onto the existing housing. Doing this will change 4 out of 6 speakers in front. Forget about trying to find something close for the dash speaker... unless you want to try... partexpress.com might have something you can stick in there.

Rear...since you are keeping factory amp... same thing as front.

Subwoofer is fine... you just need to tap into the "RCA line" from head unit at the amp... and feed that to the subwoofer amp. Punch out the ski panel and leave center arm rest down.

genphreak
05-28-2010, 11:25 PM
Remember when changing speakers that speaker size is proportional to more than power... the enclosure too plays a huge part: Volume (cubiic m), Leak rate, etc...

In the footwells the 'enclosure' is so small & crappy that larger speakers will not help at all. In the rear, increasing size means destroying the structure of the car, so the minor benefits are outweighed by the variances in rigidity between the nice 5.25 factory mounts and whatever one hacks together.

My 535 has the stock Nokias (it has the Premium 10 speaker system). If you use the factory equalizer in this system you get incredible sound by simply adding real amplifier power. Inside the factory (old style) amp, there is a seperate board for the crossover so one can remove the crumby booster amp and drive the whole lot with a modern 4 channel amp using the stock speaker wiring. This makes the task real easy.

Best results obviously come when adding a sub, (11 speaker), but large subs again seldom fit result well (sound, utility, practicality) in cars not desgned for them. If one welded the sub's mount to the panel/frame behind the rear seat it could be done well. The optimal result would be from two 6-7" woofers in the ski passthru: Dropping the armrest provides maximum SPL in the cabin (I've tested this difference, a leather seat muffles even low basss frequencies, or encourages them to go elsewhere... one or the other!

The woofers can be 8 ohm if wired in parallel as they would then present a 4 ohm load. That means plenty of grunt despite the smaller diameter. Also, minimal loss of trunk space :) I'm going to try this route and let y'all know how it goes. At present I have a 15" woofer in a small box that just points through the ski hole, its great but I think a decent pair of HiFI drivers will do a better job mounted there properly. Got some VIFA drivers ready, these babies are normally used in top-end floor standing speakers.

BMW4LIFE
06-04-2010, 01:41 AM
When I install the subs in the trunk I want to cut into the rear metal cover where the rear speakers are located. I was thinking cutting two 5" circles as to let the air into the cabin from the trunk...the last subs I had would rattle that and it would sound awful!...any words of wisdom as if I should or should not?

Tiger
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
You should not cut hole in deck because you don't have any holw in the rear parcel other than speakers... and will alter the rear speaker sound quality... just like you said... sounds crappy.

Ski Bag hole is the best.

genphreak
06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
yea, don't port the boot into the cabin. The good thing about e34 is that the rear is very solid, so rattles are minimal and can be easily controlled (so long as you get used to taking the rear seat out in the right way). The factory deadening/insulation material is very good too. You can put a wooden mount in over the ski hole, remove the seat and sit it right make sure nothing interferes and mount it neatly so fasteners won't loosen as the car flexes. That would sound good, but again, I reckon 2x small woofers would fit it best, depends if you want to give your rear seat passengers a nice sound, or a booming headache I guess... (there is never a substitute for inches, but other things are comprimised IMHO)