PDA

View Full Version : Time for new LKM?

Dood
05-12-2004, 08:47 PM
Pax side low beam does not work on my '91 525i. Fuses are fine. Bulb is fine.

Multitester shows 11.7 Volts at the connector with the light switch on and off. The drivers side, the side that works, shows 11.7 Volts with light switch off and 13.6 Volts with light switch on.

I resoldered the LKM relays several months ago to fix the intermittent low beam problem per http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/LKM.htm.

I'm thinking a relay on the LKM is bad. Any ideas or am I buying a LKM?

Tiger
05-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Sometime it is just the relay that is going bad. If you want to do it the cheap way... swap the relay around... like use the high beam relay for lowbeam and vice versa...

Dood
05-13-2004, 06:21 AM
Thanks. Any idea which side of the LKM circuit board is for the pax side headlights?

Tiger
05-13-2004, 08:45 AM
Driver side and passenger side use same LKM... If you have only 3 relays in your LKM, one for low beam, one for high beam and one for Foglight. If you have euro LKM, then fourth one is rear foglight.

if you look at the relay, one side is a moving contact, that side has two solders... one to driver side and other to passenger side. Easy way to tell if the solder is good is, take the LKM cover off... and plug it in... then push the contact in to see which light lights up...

if you can get the passenger side to light up... then try resoldering it... make sure you add more solder. If still doesn't help, then you have to change/swap the relay. The rebuilt LKM is simply new relays... but is that worth $200 for three relays? Nope.

Dood
05-13-2004, 06:03 PM
It worked! Reflowing the old solder did the trick, but I also added some extra solder as you suggested. Thanks for the help.

Tiger
05-13-2004, 07:39 PM
You're welcome!