PDA

View Full Version : new guy from pittsburgh

Dave PA
08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Hello all
I've been lurking or a couple of weeks or so but now can post.
Thanks Ed for hooking me up w/my user name & password.

i think i'm the new guy on the block (at least for now). When my wife and i move the family to 'the burbs' and i no longer can just walk to work, I'm going to need to get a daily driver which is going to be a 90 535ia. It's like a darker metallic blue color w/blue leather. I'm excited about it, although a bit worried about it being an auto instead of a 5 speed. bmwe34.net as well as this site have been great resources for me so far to gauge what I'm getting myself into.

Two things that i know i need to do on the car are new tires (to pass inspection) and new front struts (which the PO says he can feel, but
should be able to pass inspection with). Currently it has the 15 inch bbs basketweave type stock wheels. I saw someone's post that had the 16's from a late 90's 7 series which i thought looked really good.

For the struts i was going to go for a set of billsteins and maybe some springs BUT i don't want to lower it extensively.

I appreciate being on the list looking forward to some excellent conversations.

Dave Bentz
Pittsburgh, PA

2005 x5 3.0
1990 535 (hopefully soon)
1989 325ix
1972 2002

Jon K
08-22-2007, 11:45 AM
greetings from philadelphia (area).

Dave PA
08-22-2007, 11:59 AM
btw those wheels look SICK on your car!!:D
-dave

Sam-Son
08-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Welcome to the board. You should fill out your User info. Got any pics of your cars?

Dave PA
08-22-2007, 03:31 PM
the x5 (which is for sale)
http://www.1723merriman.com/x5/images/fullsize/3_FS.JPG
http://www.1723merriman.com/x5
it's an awesome color combo and is in really good shape. kind of what we thought we needed w/two little ones (and all of their stuff). but the wife now wants a new 5 wagon so the x5's gotta go. it's our third one and i'm really ready for something new.

the 2002 (taken when i bought it from dallas...the p/o's awesome 5 is in the back)
http://www.cleanestcars.com/images/custcars/dc2002/after/200212.jpg
it's an original color called colorado which is kind of a washed out orange creamsicle color. it's my 'fun car' that is the garage queen and i take it out on rides w/my 2 year old son who LOVES it. 02's are fun as all hell to drive not to heavy at the higher speeds but man are they a blast in a 1/2 when your down around speed limit speeds. i have a set of period correct aftermarket rims from a company called cosmic that as soon as i get off my hump and get then redone will put them on there. the wheels were the one thing w/the car that wasn't my taste for the car.

the ix (89 4 door 5 speed) is the first bmw i drove (it's been in my wife's family for 95% of it's life) and i couldn't think of parting with it. very much stock except for the new bilsteins that i put on this summer.

the 5 is a darker blue w/blue leather. i know that i have to get new wheels for it as well as the front shocks (i'm doing the rear b/c they probally need it to). also it looks like i'm going to have a slightly sagging drivers seat as well to adjust but that doesn't look like a bad job at all.

unfortunately i don't have any of the ix and the 535 i haven't acquired yet.

thanks for asking,
Dave

bmwrp8
08-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Wow:D vey nice 2002. Welcome

Macv
08-22-2007, 04:08 PM
Beautiful 2002!

Bin_jammin
08-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Hey there, nice 02. I know the owner of an 02 restoration shop just down the road from me in CT, looks like the kind of work they put out, very sharp looking car you have. Welcome to the board, now go out and buy that 535, let's see how she looks!

takumidrift30
08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome from SoCal Bro! I really like your 02, keep it fresh.

Dave PA
08-23-2007, 07:58 AM
Hey there, nice 02. I know the owner of an 02 restoration shop just down the road from me in CT, looks like the kind of work they put out, very sharp looking car you have. Welcome to the board, now go out and buy that 535, let's see how she looks!

bin jammin the place i think you might be talking about is the mcginn brother's shop. they do just AWESOME WORK!! not only do they specialize in 02's but they have done some amazing work on pretty much every other bmw out there. some day hopefully i can get my 02 up there to get the paint work done by them.

thanks guys for the welcomes!!

-dave

Ross
08-23-2007, 08:30 AM
Welcome and more kudos for the 2002.

Bin_jammin
08-23-2007, 09:47 AM
bin jammin the place i think you might be talking about is the mcginn brother's shop. they do just AWESOME WORK!! not only do they specialize in 02's but they have done some amazing work on pretty much every other bmw out there. some day hopefully i can get my 02 up there to get the paint work done by them.

thanks guys for the welcomes!!

-dave

Sports Car Restorations.

http://www.sports-car-restoration.com/

Dave PA
08-23-2007, 11:34 AM
they some just amazing work. the guy who is building the touring 02 is Andy and he is about as 02 crazy as they come. just an A+ awesome guy who has owned pretty much every type and setup 02 that is out there. he even had one built around a roots supercharger as well as an original turbo.

the alpina look for the 02 has what are called 'pig cheeked' fenders. this way they could put HUGE wheels on them. http://members.kabelnetz.at/02touring/Bilder/bmw_alpina_2002.jpg

typically these are fiberglass bolt up fenders that go on the car. the mcginn brothers as a 'project' rolled theirs out from steel. i was true beauty w/metal.

as ferris bueller said. 'if you have the means i highly recommend it [them].' :D

dave