PDA

View Full Version : ray364

ray364
08-21-2007, 06:52 PM
hi,guys, my problem kind of simple but at the same time complicated.Need to replace my flex joint(tranny to drive shaft) but removing the drive shaft has prove to be a pain, does anybody know how?

gale
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Not that hard, just a bit involved:

1. remove exhaust
2. remove heat shield
3. remove bolts from flex joint (quibo)
4. remove center bearing bolts (temporarily support driveshaft)
5. let the driveshaft flex at the center bearing & pull rearwards
to disengage the pilot bearing at the front of the driveshaft
6. inspect the center bearing for tears and replace if nec.
6a. a box end wrench will slip into the u-joint to get the 2 driveshaft
halves separated. It's slow n go & you'll have to tap the front half
driveshaft forward to make more wrench clearance
6b. you'll need a gear puller to pry the center bearing off of the rear
driveshaft. Cut thru the rubber to get the metal frame off and carve off
all the rubber on the bearing to get a closer fit for the gear puller.
7. Inspect the pilot bearing in the front of the driveshaft & replace if nec.
7a. pack the old bearing with thick grease & hammer a snug fitting 14 mm
rod into the bearing and it will come out

Assemble in reverse order. There are arrows molded into the rubber on the
guibo which point to the repective driveshaft and trans flange lugs. If it's
clocked 1 hole off, the guibo will self-destruct prematurely.

The center bearing mounting holes are slotted. Push the metal bracket forward about 6 mm (1/4").

artguy
08-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Obviously Gale's instructions are superb, below is a link that also contains pictures.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Maintenance/Transmission/CenterBearing.htm

I almost had to do this, but after inspection found my quibo was in great condition.

http://www.captive1.com/mrk/good_guibo.jpg

However, my tranny mounts still need replacing though :(

~artguy

mattyb
08-22-2007, 07:45 AM
ray, what car do you have? it helps a bit if we know a bit more about what youre trying to do. It isnt hard though and the crew here will help u all the way. best of luck.

mattyb

DanDombrowski
08-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Ray,

When we did the transmission on my car, the guy helping me adamently did not want to drop the exhaust. If you're a big guy, have some help aligning, have some BIG prybars, and a little luck, you can pop the driveshaft out without removing the exhaust.

I wouldn't recommend it, and its impossible without a lift or by yourself, I just wanted you to know in case you asked a shop and they said 'oh, we don't drop the exhaust....."

Bin_jammin
08-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Actually, the exhaust isn't really all that tough to do alone, I've done it myself. Admittedly, I'm a pretty big guy and I do have years and years of experience as a mechanic and access to lifts, but with basic prep it's not too tough. Strap the exhaust on both ends so it doesn't fall, unbolt the o2 sensor, undo the rubbers holding the rear up, unbolt the arm bolted to the trans, unbolt the manifold flanges, lower the rear first, wiggle the front out and lower it. Use the straps to keep it from dropping on important things like yourself or the floor.

No job is something to be afraid of, and there's no reason not to do it the right way. If you're afraid you might break something like studs, that just means it'll break later when it's much less convenient.