PDA

View Full Version : "push/pull lever and clock will slide out" Yeah right.

Dan in NZ
05-12-2004, 07:33 PM
I have a RHD car, wasn't sure if I push or pull the obc release lever, so I pushed and pulled it in every direction possible, but the f'n thing wouldn't budge.

So what's plan B for removing the clock???

mmaddock
05-13-2004, 05:22 AM
Dan

Are you pushing on the lever next to the stereo?

Not sure how much you have removed of the dash, but try this...

Remove the two plastic covers on either side of the centre dash (which encompases the stereo, heater slides/switches etc - they just pop off) to reveal two screws on either side - remove these screws and -*- lightly! -*- prise the dash from behind the plastic trim holding it in place on the glove box side only. It helps if the glove box is open at the time. If you are not careful you will crack the plastic trim as it is just compressed card. It is possible to do this if you do it carefully. (Don't worry if you do happen to bend the trim tags as it is covered up anyway afterwards!)

Now the whole centre dash comes out - don't pull too hard as the cables for the heater controls are still connected, but once this is done, you can see the whole of the rear of the centre dash, including behind the clock - now the release lever is much more obvious and accessible.

I can't think why it would not move - every car I have done it on, the clock just pops out, no problem.

Hope that helps

Matt.
matthew.maddock@mmaddock.com

I have a RHD car, wasn't sure if I push or pull the obc release lever, so I pushed and pulled it in every direction possible, but the f'n thing wouldn't budge.

Unregistered
05-13-2004, 01:58 PM
You should be pulling the lever toward you. It would not budge for me too, so I sprayed a little WD40 at the base of the lever and tried pulling it a few minutes later and it worked the obc came flying out the slot. So be ready to catch the obc.

glen-sj

Dan in NZ
05-14-2004, 03:47 AM
Thanks,
I'll try and get the dash bit out so i can get a good look at the lever, probably just needs a bit of WD-40 after all these years. I'll report back tomorrow on how the obc retrofit went!

Bill R.
05-14-2004, 07:59 AM
they are on the right and left side of the unit with a center pivot point so you have to pull on the one on the left side of the unit and push on the one on the right side... Frequently if you just pull on the left one you end up breaking it off.... Look at the procedure on Don Gales page here
(http://www.nmia.com/%7Edgnrg/page_36.htm)

Unregistered
05-14-2004, 10:03 AM
You should be pulling the lever toward you. It would not budge for me too, so I sprayed a little WD40 at the base of the lever and tried pulling it a few minutes later and it worked the obc came flying out the slot. So be ready to catch the obc.

glen-sj

I forgot to mention my was a LHD, so the lever is on the left side of the OBC.

glen-sj

Bill R.
05-14-2004, 10:04 AM
I forgot to mention my was a LHD, so the lever is on the left side of the OBC.

glen-sj

Dan in NZ
05-14-2004, 06:08 PM
I prised the top part of the center panel out, but the clock was still stuck. I got fed up, and my thumb had dents in it from pushing the lever so hard, so I grabbed a screwdriver, placed it against the lever, leaned into it with great force, and BANG! The clock shot out about 30cm from the dash, didn't even break the lever. The wiring connector remained in the dash.

It was a bit of a challenge to cut the back of the slot out, to fit the obc. I used a hacksaw blade and did it in place. All I had to do then was power up pin 17, and it burst into life. Of course as soon as I start the car, I get the -37C temp warning, but I'll live with that until I get an outside temp sensor.