PDA

View Full Version : Kudo's to BMA.....

George M
05-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Guys,
not long ago there was some frustration voiced about a BMA order and I of course immediately responded that they are a great house and nobody is perfect. Here is a great example of just how good they are and what a special rapport we have developed. I order some aluminum crush washers for
my banjo bolts and posted a pic the other day about one of the washers spitting out in spite of torquing to Bentley's spec. As fate would have it, I only ordered the exact amount I needed so I was screwed and couldn't get my engine back together. Called BMA and spoke to Yves and said, hey man...could you mail another batch of those $.020 washers in an envelope ASAP. Well...BMA didn't make any money on selling me those parts...most supply places say use the dealer for the little stuff. Looked in my mailbox tonight after work and sure enough there they were...got them out to me that fast. BMA is the best house I have dealt with and that includes on-line part houses for domestic cars I have repaired.
Hats off to Patrick and Yves...they raise the bar.
George

AllanS
05-12-2004, 07:00 PM
Yeah, BMA has been great- Yves goes through the effort to call me back, send emails with pics, etc., on the smallest things that you just know they don't make money on there. He'll tell you flat out if you can get a better price elsewhere, too. If it weren't for BMA, Bruno's site, and this forum, I'd probably have pissed a helluva lot more money away on my car than i'd care to think about.

Mitch90535im
05-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'm OK with BMA now. I'm still a little disappointed that they have mis-serviced 2 of 3 orders so far by either shipping something other than what I ordered (3 wiper blades when I ordered 2 wiper blade refills. Is there a 535i that requires 3? ) and the wrong part (a radiator for a 525i when I ordered a radiator for a 535i).

All in all they have stood behind their service by making the mistakes right, at their expense, and I suppose that is all you can expect these days.

Also Patrick comfirmed something I suspected - If I don't want my order screwed up next time - insist on talking with either him or his brother, not whoever happens to answer the phone.

Mitch90535im
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
George, I want to ask you something in all honesty - Do you feel it was unfair or inappropriate to post my frustration with BMA? I mean it was 2 out of 3 orders that weren't just not quite right, they were way not quite right.

Messerschmitt
05-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I've had a few orders shipped wrong. Usually it was my mistake for not providing a real part number. I can't expect these guys to remember every part number. Their good, but no-one is that good!

Personally, I wouldn't even call anyone else for a part. I recommend them to everyone that asks me for about parts. Even on a busy day they will take the time to make sure I'm happy and that I get what I need.

Tom

AllanS
05-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, when the girl with the accent picks up I usually ask for Yves or Patrick, unless I have a part number on hand :)

Mitch90535im
05-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I can't expect these guys to remember every part number.

I am so sorry then - I didn't realize they were remembering these part numbers all in their head - I guess I just assumed they were looking them up. Thanks for clairyfing that. Geeze - no wonder they sometimes ship the incorrect part.

(yes for you Republicans out there - that was satire)

632 Regal
05-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Mitch, well, **** happens. I have had a couple mishaps with orders but they were taken care of very well. Sometimes it sucks if you plan something on a date er exact period if you get the worng stuff so I have like a wheel barrow of crap I should do eventually. That means I have everything and just need to get the free time to install the stuff. Im sure if you wanted to do a waterpump this weekend and get the wrong one it would suck, I mean no doubt. Without BMA, this forum and the people to help me (Im an ass but I do contribute) there is no way on earth I could afford such an automobile. Looked up bluebook today and its worth about what I paid last year, about a grand down but there is no way in hell I would step into som Pontiac or crap like that. I do have a Pontiac (Can-AM) but thats another story, I am very comfortible with my Bimmer and without this board I wouldnt have found BMA, found the personal help I needed and wouldnt still have this fine German engineering saving space in my garage.

Just my 2¢

George M
05-13-2004, 06:16 AM
no issue with what you wrote Mitch...it is an open forum and members are encouraged to write their views. It is as it should be...a learning process for everyone because the counterpoint is generally stated and the truth will generally come out. As an older person with a slightly broader perspective, one thing I notice is the quickness today to criticize. It isn't even about the glass being half empty or full. It about the glass being 95% full versus 5% empty. The big picture is a company like BMA is rare in all the good they do for the BMW community. Their job is very difficult and they should be recognized for how often they do it well and in particular on reduced margins due to their competitive pricing. For all those that want to maximize their chances for getting the right parts for these aging cars...purchase an ETK...will save you all kind of hastle in not only seeing exploded part views but ordering parts by part number... the way to go.
George

Mitch90535im
05-13-2004, 06:28 AM
one thing I notice is the quickness today to criticize.

I agree totally George and I was quick Saturday morning after getting off the phone with Patrick to post a follow-up praising him for standing behind his service and doing everything he could including overnight shipping at his expense to make things right. Indeed, kudos are in order for BMA.

What has my hackles up a little at the moment, and while I agree with Jeff that **** happens, is what I sense as a position that I should ignore it and pretend it doesn't stink.

Once again, so noone thinks I'm flamming BMA - my kudos to Patrick at BMA for making right my mis-serviced radiator . I will still purchase parts from them again and again in the future if they will have my business, and last but not least, I'm a little disappointed in the fact that they have mis-serviced 2 of my 3 previous orders. (end of thread for me)

rickm
05-13-2004, 09:36 AM
You had a problem with BMA - not with Patrick or Ives, correct? I always talk to one of them and have yet to receive the wrong item. Sometimes I'll email them what I want (using the p/n I've found in the ETK) to make sure it's right then I'll call. I've even emailed in orders since my CC is on record there. (makes it handy!)

BigD
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
I'd never order parts by phone unless it is something exceptionally obvious (ordered a crankshaft and pistons by phone), and even then I usually follow up by email. I only order from Patrick@BMA, via email and I've never had any issues with miscommunication, and I've ordered some really odd parts. He'd send half a dozen emails back and forth, with ETK screencaptures, with parts circled to ensure that we were on the same page (and at times I'd realize I'm not even sure what I need and his pictures would help). You can't get this talking on the phone. Phone sucks.

Hector
05-13-2004, 10:58 AM
to BMA. I was introduced to BMA from this forum and boy I'm glad I was. I dont' live far from them so I always do will-call orders. BMA kinda reminds me of a hole-in-a-wall restaurant where at times the outside and the decor looks ok but the food is excellent. I believe they are a family operation and they seem to get along great. I've been there a few times and Ives already knows me by name--contrary to most places where they don't even bother with those little details. He is definitely a bimmer enthusiast. I believe he has a souped up M3--looks like a very expensive and rare piece of jewel. I also have stories to tell with my limited involvement with them but let me just say I've noticed that trust goes a long with Ives.

A toast to BMA for their great customer satisfaction!!!

Dick Schneiders
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from them and always talked to one of them and the orders were always correct. However, on Monday I spoke to somebody else on an order and I simply used him. It did take quite a bit longer for him to find the stuff on the parts list than do Patrick and Yves. The order hasn't arrived yet and I hope it is correct as I need the stuff for this weekend.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

You had a problem with BMA - not with Patrick or Ives, correct? I always talk to one of them and have yet to receive the wrong item. Sometimes I'll email them what I want (using the p/n I've found in the ETK) to make sure it's right then I'll call. I've even emailed in orders since my CC is on record there. (makes it handy!)

ScottM.
05-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Guys, I have to laugh at this whole affair. I have had two orders with BMA and they were promptly filled and shipped. Absolutely no complaints.

Now, I also own four british cars. Some parts have to be ordered from British spares houses in the UK. Have you ever waited 2 years for a part? Well I have a number of times. After the first year of no response by phone or e-mail I have to call Brit friends to call the shops locally to get the job done. So, I can only sit back and enjoy the great service that BMA offers in comparision.

Please note that some UK suppliers are quite good. Many don't even want to deal with US customers. Althought they take my credit cards right away....

Scott
1995 540ia