PDA

View Full Version : So I'm installing my new EAT chip and...

[1990]525
08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I come to the immediate conclusion that my DME cover is sealed like a sardine can with 10 metal tabs! How the heck does one go about prying out these tabs without damaging the cover or the tabs O_O. Looks like a job for a screwdriver but... I don't think there's much hope of sliding under them... How did you do it?

632 Regal
08-20-2007, 04:57 PM
bust em off and dont lose sleep over it. No matter how careful you are some will break.

repenttokyo
08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
it's really really really frustrating, i just worked and worked at it until it magically came apart. I used some tiny screwdrivers too.

Dave M
08-20-2007, 05:20 PM
They must be made fragile to serve as an indicator that its been opened. Can't see another reason to engineer something so F'in annoying ;) Oh, and I agreee with Jeff, forget they were ever there.

Dave

Macv
08-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Oh goody, something to look forward to when I buy my EAT chip.

The Bigfella
08-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Use a big screwdriver. No broken tabs on mine and I've done 3 chip changes so far.

[1990]525
08-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Use a big screwdriver. No broken tabs on mine and I've done 3 chip changes so far.
Any size screwdriver would definitely NOT fit under my tabs, not even the corner of it from the side... An eyeglass repair kit I felt would just snap under it. I did decide to ruin a cheap pocketknife for the sake of it though. Overall a simple procedure with only this one problem.

When I first started it up, it was expectedly untrained, idle dropping to almost 350 RPM, parking brake light? coming on... After driving through the neighborhood, then some time passing on the highway :) I am veeery happy with the result of this Mark DSylva chip. Makes me want a higher displacement car for sure :P.

swenpro
08-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Ha ha, I thought you were gonna say "So I'm installing my new EAT chip and... I found out I already have an engine performance chip!" Hehe, that's what happened to me, o well, still looks like my EAT chip is better than the BavAuto one that was in there.

Dave M
08-21-2007, 10:05 AM

You've opened the same dme three times without breaking a tab? You must be blessed ;)

Dave

bmwrp8
08-21-2007, 06:06 PM
You must be blessed ;)

Dave
hahaha

The Bigfella
08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
You've opened the same dme three times without breaking a tab? You must be blessed

I don't think so .... I've been waiting for over a year to get a chip that will work right. I've tried two from the one supplier and then went back to the original (unknown chip) because it was just too damn dangerous driving a car that would cut out at 1950 rpm until the oil temp hit 60 degrees C. I think the email count is approaching 70 emails on trying to get this sorted - most of them lame excuses as to why nothing has happened.

Blessed - be buggered.