PDA

View Full Version : Sachs Install

Steve N
05-12-2004, 06:02 PM
I have what may seem like a dumb question. The rear of my car is apart and I need to know if you use the rubber spring pad with the new Sachs kit? The original metal perch has a flat surface that the rubber pad sits on. The new metal perch is contoured so the spring pad is not flush. It almost looks like it is made to not use the rubber pad. I know a bunch of people have used this kit in the past, what did you do?

tracye34
05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
I just did this last weekend and ended up not using the pad. I tried to force it in there, but it would not fit properly. I have driven about 400 miles and so far all is well.

Good Luck.

Tracy Mathews

Brandon J
05-12-2004, 07:08 PM
3yrs and no rear pad.

Steve N
05-12-2004, 07:36 PM
3yrs and no rear pad.

Did either of you check with Sachs to see if this is how it is meant to be? It looks that way to me. Just wondering.

tracye34
05-12-2004, 08:33 PM
I did not check, it was a Saturday, it looked right so decided to go with it.

Tracy

Anton CH.
05-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Question, how hard is it to install this kit (hours?)? Are there any stubborn bolts that require power tools?

tracye34
05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
It is not that hard, can be done completely with hand tools, I have done it twice that way. If you have never done it before, I would plan on 7-8 hours. The only speciality tool you need is a spring compressor. You can get a loaner from Auto Zone or Advance Auto for free. Air tools will definately help but are not necessary. If you have any more questions, let me know, I just did this last weekend.

Tracy

Question, how hard is it to install this kit (hours?)? Are there any stubborn bolts that require power tools?

happifella
05-13-2004, 09:31 AM
When I was installing my Sachs kit I had the same question. Called Sachs Tech Support and the guy I spoke with said the pad should not be used. Everything has been fine without the pad.

Jeff
'90 535im
'91 535im

Steve N
05-13-2004, 10:54 AM
When I was installing my Sachs kit I had the same question. Called Sachs Tech Support and the guy I spoke with said the pad should not be used. Everything has been fine without the pad.

Jeff
'90 535im
'91 535im

Thanks Jeff. I called Sachs and the tech guy is in Germany. No pad it is.

mikemaster
05-13-2004, 04:17 PM
While this thread is going, did any of your receive new rear bumpstops with your kit?

I didn't.

tracye34
05-13-2004, 10:16 PM
No bump stops come with the kit. Not sure if they are necessary, but I cut down factory bump stops to about the same as the fronts that came with the kit and used them.

Tracy

Steve N
05-14-2004, 10:03 AM
No bump stops come with the kit. Not sure if they are necessary, but I cut down factory bump stops to about the same as the fronts that came with the kit and used them.

Tracy

Now I'm starting to get a little annoyed with Sachs. My "kit" came with 2 bump stops. I used them on the rear. I may need to diassemble and use them on the front? The crappy instructions that came with it, and that are posted on the sachsracing.com web site, show bump stops on both the front and the rear. So, where are the included bump stops meant to be used? I would think it would be more importaint to use the bump stops on the front.

And it figures that the person who can answer the question for me at Sachs is out of the country. Can anyone else here shed some light?

mikemaster
05-15-2004, 06:21 AM
I put the new ones on the front, and bought new stock ones for the rear. I only cut about 1/2" off the rear ones, and might cut some more off.