PDA

View Full Version : clunk from rear

t_marat
08-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I hear clunking sound from right rear while passing over rough "terrain". I can hear that sound if I press and shake the right rear by pressing on the hood (rear).
I read it could be the shocks overextending and hitting something? Can I see that if I remove rear seats and rubber cap?

jdt10768
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
This sounds like what I have going on. The mech said it was a "shock hat" - which I think is the metal piece at the top of the shock. Waiting for info on this . . .

RobPatt
08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
but if you pull the rear speaker, then the speaker cup under it.. you can see the top of the shock mount.. (shock hat). does the donut rubber ring look bad? take a peek. has anyone recently replaced shocks/mounts and didn't tighten correctly? (shock to mount is very light, like 16 foot puond or something...)...but the mount to the car is more (is it like 46?).

I hear clunking sound from right rear while passing over rough "terrain". I can hear that sound if I press and shake the right rear by pressing on the hood (rear).
I read it could be the shocks overextending and hitting something? Can I see that if I remove rear seats and rubber cap?

Tiger
08-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Upper rear shock mount, sway bar link, or the dogbone.

t_marat
08-26-2007, 01:12 PM
Shock mounts had been changed. Old one wasn't that bad, some hairline cracks in the rubber. But the sound is still there.
The guy says its the shock itself making that sound. When the shock is fully extended, you can move its tip a bit (meaning right left). Its not much and I wonder if it's supposed to be like that. The shock works, car does not oscilate over bumps.
From other rear end parts below ones were diagnosed as bad:
part #2:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB51&mospid=47370&btnr=33_0433&hg=33&fg=30
part #6 pitman arm
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HB51&mospid=47370&btnr=33_0221&hg=33&fg=30

I also realized the clunk sound is very loud and hollow, as if something is hitting the car's rear body parts. The sound that I hear when I push the rear end down and make the car oscilate is not that loud. Even if I make it go down nearly full, the noise it makes is much more subdued and the tone is different, more like ticking.
Clunking sound usually comes over rough surface, but sometimes I can hear it over a nearly flat surface. That is with very slight and gentle variations, very slight.