PDA

View Full Version : eng.tranny sawp "?"/ have already done search

spoolinturbo
08-19-2007, 08:03 PM
hey guys,

i have not been on in awhile, the beamer has been sitting for quite awhile, but now im starting the project up. Done some searches and have not really found anything. but heres what i have.

89 535i auto.

what i wanted to do was an e34 M5 eng and tranny swap, have not looked into it, mainly because i have yet to find that combo anywhere on the net for sale. I did want to stay in the e34 range for an ease of a swap but are there any other swaps that have been done, or thought of being done that are not so troublesome? ive seen e39 eng swaps but those are an insane amount of work, ide be better off just buying an m5.

Ive done tranny conversions on jap cars, real easy for some of them, as the tranny tunnels are the same size and everything is pretty much the same for either tranny. Wondering if that is the same case for bimmers.

anyone know main problems with tranny conversions? or eng swaps? any information would be greatly appreciated.

winfred
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
with enough support parts a 3.6 should drop right in without much pain and suffering, i've herd the 3.8 is a different beast, not seen one to confirm though, they are basically the same motor from the head gasket down, the rest is just induction differences and maybe a little wiring, the body plug will be pretty much the same, depending on year they sometimes move a wire position (like the ac compressor lead) but the plug will match up

Bin_jammin
08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
For what you're going to spend taking apart an e34, and the money you're going to spend on an s38 with tranny, you're better off just hunting down an m5 and spending the donuts on it. You'll have what you're looking for, and it will just work. Not a cheap engine in plentiful quantities.

winfred
08-19-2007, 09:26 PM
actually i just found out about one a few minutes ago from a buddy http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/pts/400606442.html with the usual chance for getting a hunk-o-**** check it out good if you pursue

spoolinturbo
08-19-2007, 09:56 PM
bin_jammin :

i've been looking for some M5's actually. some of them are crazy overpriced. or crappy condition. its not so much, i should get one. but i mean i have this 535 just chillin you know? not sure what exactly to do with it, i loved it when i was driving it. that car saved my ass in an accident, only serves it right to build her right =) haha.

winfred :

thanks for that find!! ill def give a call and see if i cant get some pix. of it.

so has anyone on here done a tranny conversion? just wondering any complications they may have run into, can always save the next guy some headaches. If not, ill post a step-by-step when mine is going on.

winfred
08-19-2007, 10:19 PM
auto to stick is easy, everything bolts up and the couple brackets like the tab for the clutch fluid line is there and the rear support for the shifter is there, ground one wire and the trans program message in the cluster goes away, the pedal cluster swaps right in, cross two wires at the shifter to get rid of the neutral safety lock out and connect two of them to the switch on the tranny for reverse lights

spoolinturbo
08-19-2007, 10:39 PM
auto to stick is easy, everything bolts up and the couple brackets like the tab for the clutch fluid line is there and the rear support for the shifter is there, ground one wire and the trans program message in the cluster goes away, the pedal cluster swaps right in, cross two wires at the shifter to get rid of the neutral safety lock out and connect two of them to the switch on the tranny for reverse lights

sweet. thats awesome, really is.

quick "?" though. If i remember right, one of the reasons i stopped driving that car in the first place was that message "trans program+" what the hell is that? it wouldnt allow my tranny to move at all.

winfred
08-19-2007, 10:54 PM
something is pissing off the tranny computer, is usually something simple on a 535 like a connection, dirty contact in the range switch at the shifter, dirty contact in mode switch next to the shifter or easily replaceable solenoid (of several) inside of the pan

ps when it gets pissed off it can put the tranny into limp mode, which basicly puts into 3rd gear so you car get to a shop or something

Spasso
08-19-2007, 10:57 PM
This might be a good way to go.

I was considering this myself but needed something more practical as a daily driver.

NO affiliation.

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=34719

****PRICE REDUCED****

1991 BMW M5 for sale

* 143k miles
* Red exterior
* Black interior
* maintenance records

Mods:

* H&R springs
* Bilstein shocks (eliminated SLS)
* Euro 3.8L cam gears - significant low end torque gains
* Dinan chip
* 273 rwhp and 235 ft-lbs before the cam gears
* E36 M3 timing chain tensioner
* E36 M3 Steering wheel

Recent Maintenance:

* New radiator
* New hoses
* Timing chain guide
* Recent clutch (20k miles)
* Complete transmission rebuild

This car is very clean overall and one of the nicer M5s I have seen of this vintage.

$11,250

spoolinturbo
08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
something is pissing off the tranny computer, is usually something simple on a 535 like a connection, dirty contact in the range switch at the shifter, dirty contact in mode switch next to the shifter or easily replaceable solenoid (of several) inside of the pan

ps when it gets pissed off it can put the tranny into limp mode, which basicly puts into 3rd gear so you car get to a shop or something

yea mine went completely stationary, all i did was check linkage and haven't driven it since.

now im headed into a whole new world with the beamer. i learned that when i lifted my rear seat one day. Does any1 have any other suggestions for my project? im doing searching in the meantime. but enthusiasts know whats good and whats not. im doing a ground up resto on it. I want the sach suspension kit, if they still sell it anywhere. upgrading brakes and the whole nine yards. so if anyone has any info for parts suppliers or anything it would be appreciated too =) but so far the info has been awesome, thanks winfred.