PDA

View Full Version : deducted

///Sniper535
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
So on my drive back up from Florida I ran into a little situation on Interstate 95, northbound somewhere in South Carolina. It's a two lane highway, I was on the right lane. I noticed the shoulder has gotten much smaller and was not wide enough for a car to sit safely out of the traffics way, on top of that, there were debris from tires and other stuff on the shoulder. On the left lane were a row of cars, behind me, an SUV followed by an 18 wheeler. I noticed up ahead in my lane there was an object lying there in the middle. I thought to myself, i better switch lanes. I was not able to move over at that time due to traffic. At this point that object has gotten much closer. This is when i realized that that object was. The tread of a wheel from a tractor trailer. I think to myself "That's a big piece of rubber so i wont be able to drive over it." I wasnt able to switch lanes at this time either. So maybe i could slow down and squeeze in the left lane, at this time it was too late, i could no merge to the left lane, could not drive on the shoulder or stop because of the bigger vehicles following behind. So I braced for impact as i saw the debris from the tires get closer hoping for the best...

After the huge BANG i noticed i was still on the road, tires still all the the pavement and no noticeable damage to the car engine or suspension. So I get off at the next exit, stop at a gas station, get out of my car and inspect the front of the car only to find this...

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/photo26/98/bc/55c659fb3eee.jpg?_rh=5kgjsa3lxwevr7y0n5t0jkkxj

There went my:
-Newly installed brake ducts
-Entire bottom lip
-New Louvered Towhook Covers
-Drivers side FogLight
-Outside Temp Sensor
-Bumper

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 06:46 PM
yikes! thats some nasty hit...:(

winfred
08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
"****"

ps if it's not too late to go back the ducts and covers probably survived the impact, they are tough parts

Macv
08-19-2007, 07:56 PM
oh **** man. Sorry for your troubles.

Mitch90535im
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Several years ago my ex and I were in the 325i Cabrio with the top down on I-75 when a truck started shedding thread right in front of us. Like a typical girl she just wanted to slow down, stay in her lane, and drive right through it. **** was flying everywhere. I had to grab the wheel and drive around it from the passenger seat. Some of the chunks were big enough that they could have taken someone's head off. I still can't believe we got through that without a scratch.

///Sniper535
08-19-2007, 10:52 PM
I went back to look for the parts but i couldn't recognize the ducts, 18 wheeler probably destroyed them, i saw my left foglight though on the shoulder.

sKilled
08-19-2007, 11:00 PM
Your hood also looks a bit out of kilter?

///Sniper535
08-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah i don't know why that was, since the impact. i adjusted and hinge and all those bolts today and it looks much improved..

Evan
08-20-2007, 01:06 AM
that sucks... i have a temp sensor if you need it

Sam-Son
08-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Holy crap! all that damage from a piece of a blowout. Sorry to hear that hope all gets fixed soon

The Bigfella
08-20-2007, 01:49 AM
I was following a semi on the Bells Line of road when it threw a tread. I was on the Beemer - a '74 model R90S - and we were doing 100kph (60mph). I ducked and the tread went just over the top of my head (otherwise I wouldn't be writing this, thats for sure).

Sorry to see the car damage - glad you are OK

filip00
08-20-2007, 02:37 AM
what kind of nasty people killing threads are those? i've never seen anything like that.....

that's one nasty hit you got!

Mitch90535im
08-20-2007, 05:47 AM
what kind of nasty people killing threads are those? i've never seen anything like that.....

that's one nasty hit you got!

Sorry, typo. Make that "tread".

filip00
08-20-2007, 06:37 AM
no, i didn't mean it as a joke, thread or tread, forget it, i honestly never saw those things

RallyD
08-20-2007, 08:15 AM
I had a similar experience in my G35 but it was a mud flap. I saw up ahead that it would lift up a little as trucks went over so I increased my distance between the truck in front. Of course it stayed on the ground until I was right there and then wham!!! It stood op 90* and plastered the front bumper cover, popping the corner attachment points and leaving me with a dragging fascia just waiting to get sucked under the car.

winfred
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
caught a hunk of steel the same way a few years ago
http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/325crunch.JPG

I had a similar experience in my G35 but it was a mud flap. I saw up ahead that it would lift up a little as trucks went over so I increased my distance between the truck in front. Of course it stayed on the ground until I was right there and then wham!!! It stood op 90* and plastered the front bumper cover, popping the corner attachment points and leaving me with a dragging fascia just waiting to get sucked under the car.

Mitch90535im
08-20-2007, 11:12 AM
no, i didn't mean it as a joke, thread or tread, forget it, i honestly never saw those things

When a tractor trailer tire does something like this at 80 mph and 2-3 ft. long chunks of it come flying at you :

http://neverendingjoy.com/test1/nfblog/wp-content/uploads/IMG_3611.JPG

filip00
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM
those things should be banned from open roads

whiskychaser
08-20-2007, 02:29 PM
those things should be banned from open roads

You woudnt be eating your dinner if they were :-)

Seriously though, dont you have anyone to clear up that **** in the US? On UK motorways they have people responsible for that and you even get overhead signs warning of 'debris in the road' until they can clear it. Hand on heart I cant say it works all the time but the thought is there

repenttokyo
08-20-2007, 02:39 PM
in michigan yesterday, i saw a guy driving on I96 with no rear tire on his left side. He was tooling along at 50 mph with pieces of the hub and brakes flying off the car. It was nuts. He already had his mini spare on the front left of the car. Why not just freakin' stop?!?!?!?!

DanDombrowski
08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Where in Florida?

sKilled
08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
In Germany, and here in NZ the cops have perfected the rolling block so that the Autobahn/Motorway can be cleaned of debris as quickly as possible. I have seen only very little debris on either, so kudos to the cops.

On a related note, in Germany there's a pretty good traffic warning system set up with most radio stations giving out the warnings as well as traffic updates. Interestingly there is a special tone used prior to the broadcast which tells the (RDS enabled) car radio that there is a traffic report about to be broadcast, and you can set up your radio to increase the volume when this happens. There is a tone again at the end of the broadcast which signals the radio to return to the previous volume setting.

bsell
08-21-2007, 01:17 PM
[QUOTE=sKilled]In Germany, and here in NZ the cops have perfected the rolling block so that the Autobahn/Motorway can be cleaned of debris as quickly as possible. I have seen only very little debris on either, so kudos to the cops.QUOTE]

I just passed a full tread (off a retreaded tire I presume) laying under the guardrail and into the shoulder of the A6 (autobahn). Why it came off in the middle of a two mile stretch of construction (80kph limit) is beyond me but there it layed. I figure the beast must weight at least 50 lbs. Can you say goodbye oil pans???

My oldest brother lost an oil pan in his Celica to an upturned manhole cover. As in standing on edge, vertically in it's hole. Of course the state wouldn't pay as it must have been 'vandles'.

Brian

Tiger
08-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Doesn't insurance cover this? Damn!... That nearly happened to me too... I was on the way to Atlanta from Florida and that **** Tire tread was standing right there... bumper to bumper high speed and I just bought my car a couple of days ago... I think it cracked my foglight... and maybe loosened up my spoilers.

632 Regal
08-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Road Gators got you! That sucks man.

Milkboot
08-21-2007, 10:15 PM
*sniffle* :(