PDA

View Full Version : e39 problem...help

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Used my friends e39...when I was about to return it I went to put some gas, put the tranny in "P" (tiptronic) and shut off the engine while filling. After filling her up the car won't start. The problem was the check control display was telling me I was at "D" drive position, but the gear lever was at "P". this is what I did, I played with the lever put it in P-R-N-D and tiptronic mode a couple of times and then back to N or P but still the CC display says im at D. disconnected the battery for 30 mins. still the same.Took out and cleaned the selector lever switch (had a hard time takin it out!mind you) still the same. CC says im at D so the car wouldn't start does not matter where you put the lever CC indicates "D" all the time...any ideas? I left the car at the gas station...by the way its a 1999 e39 523i tiptronic

winfred
08-19-2007, 10:35 AM
to get it going try jumping the starter with the key in the run position, jump battery power to the 10mm nut on the starter, you can usually do it with a screwdriver off the 13mm nut where the power goes to the starter

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 10:41 AM
to get it going try jumping the starter with the key in the run position, jump battery power to the 10mm nut on the starter, you can usually do it with a screwdriver off the 13mm nut where the power goes to the starter

car's not mine...to scared to do that, might damage something...anyway any idea why CC is still in D?

Ferret
08-19-2007, 10:44 AM
car's not mine...to scared to do that, might damage something...anyway any idea why CC is still in D?

If you've cleaned the selector switch, the only thing I can think of is a short in the wiring somewhere...

Selector/gearbox ground failed?

Are these cars fitted with an inhibit switch?

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 10:47 AM
If you've cleaned the selector switch, the only thing I can think of is a short in the wiring somewhere...

Selector/gearbox ground failed?

Are these cars fitted with an inhibit switch?

have no idea...im not familiar with the e39. if that was my e34 i'd know that'll only be the selector switch...dammit I'm getting paranoid, I hope its not the comp.box:(

winfred
08-19-2007, 04:22 PM
shouldn't hurt anything, if you short the 13mm terminal to ground your screwdriver may get a little shorter but other then that it should be fine, if it's nothing but the system thinking it's not in park or neutral it should start and run, may or may not shift right depending on what is wrong, the tranny computer may get pissy and go into limp mode if the computer doesn't get the proper signal for gear position, if it thinks it's in drive it may drive fine

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 06:53 PM
shouldn't hurt anything, if you short the 13mm terminal to ground your screwdriver may get a little shorter but other then that it should be fine, if it's nothing but the system thinking it's not in park or neutral it should start and run, may or may not shift right depending on what is wrong, the tranny computer may get pissy and go into limp mode if the computer doesn't get the proper signal for gear position, if it thinks it's in drive it may drive fine

It was raining really hard and its difficult to do it so I just had it towed to the shop...they can't even find whats wrong with it...they said to leave it a couple of days so they can check.anyone had this problem before?

winfred
08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
ain't seen that one yet, when the ews freaks everything still looks normal it just won't start till the computer is reflashed, id need to get my scanner on it and play around a little

It was raining really hard and its difficult to do it so I just had it towed to the shop...they can't even find whats wrong with it...they said to leave it a couple of days so they can check.anyone had this problem before?

bmwrp8
08-19-2007, 07:31 PM
ain't seen that one yet, when the ews freaks everything still looks normal it just won't start till the computer is reflashed, id need to get my scanner on it and play around a little

I hope it just needs a reflash since disconnecting the batt. didn't work...Will keep you posted..If anyone has this problem before just give some ideas tnx.peeps

bmwrp8
08-21-2007, 11:11 AM
guys e39 still at the shop trying to diagnose the problem...they can't seem to find whats wrong with the car.. Any ideas anyone?

Tiger
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Did you try to start it in Neutral? Did the Dash recognize the gear as you pick a different one? Probably a tranny switch.

bmwrp8
08-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Did you try to start it in Neutral? Did the Dash recognize the gear as you pick a different one? Probably a tranny switch.

I tried moving the lever in P-R-N-D and tipronic mode but the cluster stayed in D. Cleaned the selector lever switch ...still the same.

Tiger
08-21-2007, 12:21 PM
Time to let the dealer fix it for you.

bmwrp8
08-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Time to let the dealer fix it for you.
yeah guess so since the shop has a reader but didn't find any faults...Used my carsoft too no faults where stored in the engine and trans.management.

bmwrp8
08-26-2007, 03:25 PM
Problem fixed!!! We traced the wires which leads to the lever switch that goes to the instrument cluster then to the box...To our surprise when we took out the glove box hidden in the upper portion was two additional 7.5amp fuses! which where blown! Changed it then prob.solved! cheez...after all the troubles it was only those two fraken fuses!!! damn, I wonder why BMW would hide those fuses