PDA

View Full Version : I have a 1990 BMW 525i, when I lock the doors they unlock by themselves?

shsaifee
08-18-2007, 10:50 PM
I have this strange problem. But when I do the second time they lock successfully. What could be the cause for this? Is there any procedure and steps that needs to be done to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Details about my car:

BMW 525i 1990
Left Hand Steering

I also tried to search on the forum with any similar questions and also on the internet but could not find any good result.

Your help is desired.

Regards,

Saabir.

Rory535i
08-18-2007, 10:57 PM
mine does this too sometimes. it's an intermitent problem for me though.

Spasso
08-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I saw a list of recalls the other day, one of which was for that very problem. Voltage and grounds were two items but one that stood out was checking for a defective trunk (boot) lock solenoid. This supposedly affects the entire system.

BTW, I have a '93 525 that I think does it when I'm not looking.:p:p

shsaifee
08-18-2007, 11:20 PM
I saw a list of recalls the other day, one of which was for that very problem. Voltage and grounds were two items but one that stood out was checking for a defective trunk (boot) lock solenoid. This supposedly affects the entire system.

BTW, I have a '93 525 that I think does it when I'm not looking.:p:p

Hi Spasso,

Thanks for the info. But can you tell me the procedure how to locate that and how to check whether it is defective ?

Thanks again.

Saabir.

Spasso
08-18-2007, 11:36 PM
Sorry no. Mainly because I haven't tried yet. I will look in the Bentley Manual and try to remember where I saw the recall.

Edit:
I went to Google and typed in a search, "1993 525 recalls" and got a list of websites that had records of various recalls for that car but I haven't found the one on the "auto-locking" feature. Type in your make and model. Good hunting.

e34m30SF
08-18-2007, 11:47 PM
Yeah, it's the defective trunk lock thing, because my 3/90 535 does that too, unless I first lock the trunk, then lock the doors. But i am eager to see how to fix it...

[1990]525
08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's the defective trunk lock thing, because my 3/90 535 does that too, unless I first lock the trunk, then lock the doors. But i am eager to see how to fix it...
I was under the impression this is how they were supposed to function, mine do the same...

ironie
08-19-2007, 12:43 AM
Any one of the 6 lock actuators may be sticky or not working
Four doors, trunk or gas door. It could be wireing corroded, just a sticky actuator, or the plastic bit that catches the mechanical lock may have bent or broken off. If you can't see which lock is hanging it is probably the trunk or gas door. Things just may be loose, ot the actuator may be done. If you are lucky you might find replacements at the local scrapyard

weiss_535is
08-19-2007, 01:02 AM
Mine did the same thing and it turned out being the drivers side actuator..

CharlesAFerg
08-19-2007, 01:34 AM

Same, you lock the trunk and then unlock the door and it will work fine - until you unlock the trunk again. It's kind of annoying, I can't imagine that's how it's supposed to work though...

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-19-2007, 02:56 AM
Mines be doing that for years, got used to it but boot lock does not work and never has, I lock it seperately, Uk spec cars do not have emergency unlock on LH door either, or mine does`nt! Will check/isolate boot lock and see if it works as it should.

NielsGalan
08-19-2007, 04:12 AM
The most likely problem is the wiring for the trunk lid. This is a very common problem with the E34. In the left side of the trunk, some of the wires that go into the trunk lid (along the hinge) probably are severed. This is caused by the opening and closing of the trunk for 16+ years.

As the trunk lock is in the trunk lid along with a bunch of lights you may find that some of the lights don't work either. In my case one of the interior lights in the trunk lid wasn't working either.

As some other forum members have pointed out, the popping up of the locks is the car telling you that not all locks have sucessfully locked.

Do a search for "trunk lid" or "trunk wiring harness" and you'll find some answers.

Basically, you open the trunk and find the wiring, remove the insulation and often you can see with your bare eyes that the wires are a mess.

After you have locked the car the second time you'll probably find, that the trunk isn't locked at all. Before I found out about this (very common) problem I had been going around with an unlocked trunk the whole time ... not cool.

Good luck.

Rory535i
08-19-2007, 04:29 AM
After you have locked the car the second time you'll probably find, that the trunk isn't locked at all. Before I found out about this (very common) problem I had been going around with an unlocked trunk the whole time ... not cool.

that's a good point. i never thought of that. thanks for the heads up. i'll have to keep a look out for a new actuator

filip00
08-19-2007, 05:24 AM
searching could help before opening a new thread.

it's the security feature so you'd notice that one of your door locking motors isn't working. locate the motor, open the door, spray some WD40 on the motor and very often that's about it.

Ferret
08-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Mine used to do this whenever the boot was deadlocked. I thought it was meant to do that as a warning.

Ferret
08-19-2007, 08:25 AM
Uk spec cars do not have emergency unlock on LH door either, or mine does`nt!

Barney, they changed the locks on them sometime around '93, my last 525i had the emergency unlock on the passenger door...

However my 525tds doesnt, and it doesnt have a manual boot lock being a tourer. This makes me very twitchy as I've no way in if the battery goes flat, at all.

e345spd
08-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Mine was doing this, sometimes I almost couldn't get it to lock, turned out to be a blown fuse under the back seat.

shsaifee
08-19-2007, 10:17 PM
I removed my rear seat to locate the fuses that could have blown. But I could not open the 3 screws on the box beneath the seat. Would try it today though.

I did a wierd procedure though. I opened the lock of the car. Everything was fine all the doors unlocked, trunk lock also got unlocked. Now I locked the trunk with my keys. Now went to the driver side and locked the car. The locks did not open. Everything went on fine. But when I went to check my trunk, it was not locked. I had to do it manually.

What could I infer out of this? Any insights would be great!!

Thanks.

Saabir.

sKilled
08-19-2007, 10:58 PM
As NielsGalan already posted - check the cable tree in the boot/trunk. On the left-hand side when you open it. It would be advisable to replace all the wires in the bend where they break as often the sheath may still be intact, but the wire is broken (so you can see that it is broken). This is THE single most common cause of this issue on the E34. Followed by the fuse(s) under the back seat.

While we're on the subject of locks, I would suggest that you also clean all the locks out annually (part of the annual spring clean). Spray some WD40 or similar in the lock, wiggle the key around and wipe the key off. You will see how much crap has depsoited in there. Rinse with WD40 and repeat. Just make sure you don't get any on the paint!

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Barney, they changed the locks on them sometime around '93, my last 525i had the emergency unlock on the passenger door...

However my 525tds doesnt, and it doesnt have a manual boot lock being a tourer. This makes me very twitchy as I've no way in if the battery goes flat, at all.
So what do we do to get in, window?? Ah, follow thread, charge battery through rear wiring but that doesnt get us in quickly, ideas? Been watching all the threads about getting in and trying my locks thinking I`me wrong so glad to read I`me not!

artguy
08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
My "new to me" '95 530i does the same thing. I was reading in the manual about the Double lock Theft deterrent system and thought the lock/unlock thing was a product of that system.

My trunk lock sticks in when pushed in to open the trunk. I have to manually pop it out. I have noticed that when I do the extra turn to "Double Lock" the trunk then my locks don't do the lock/unlock thing.

One of these days I will get around to replacing that trunk lock. :D

525']I was under the impression this is how they were supposed to function, mine do the same...

Rory535i
08-21-2007, 12:35 AM

No need to. my lock did that to me as well. i had to pull it out with the key! I took the lock out and gave it a good clean with carby cleaner and then soaked it in oil for a few days (i was respraying the car so i had the time to!) pushed it in and out a few dozen times and gave it another good clean with the carby cleaner and now it works like new.

Ferret
08-21-2007, 01:35 AM
So what do we do to get in, window?? Ah, follow thread, charge battery through rear wiring but that doesnt get us in quickly, ideas? Been watching all the threads about getting in and trying my locks thinking I`me wrong so glad to read I`me not!

Lol, mine being a tourer I cant even get into the boot if the battery goes flat, I'd have to crack a window to get in D:

I might consider turning the lock tumbler upside down in the boot, as it does have a manual override lever on it, it just doesnt engage :/

As to your question about there being a slow charge - on my last saloon I ran a heavy guage amp cable into the boot from under the rear seats - you could plug a battery in there quite happily and pop the locks immediately. Just watch out though as you'll have an unfused line floating around :D and the battery on the TDs aint small.

BMW525i E34
08-21-2007, 05:45 AM
I have this strange problem. But when I do the second time they lock successfully. What could be the cause for this? Is there any procedure and steps that needs to be done to solve this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Details about my car:

BMW 525i 1990
Left Hand Steering

I also tried to search on the forum with any similar questions and also on the internet but could not find any good result.

Your help is desired.

Regards,

Saabir.

OK man, I recently have the exactly same problem... on my 525i 1992

When I do lock the door unlock themself and when I do it again in 1 to 5 sec they lock and stay locked. I tryed all things as changing motorlock mechanisam and do the contact check but nothing... Then I was doing something under my back seats around the relays and switches, and I saw one switch that look strange to me. The switch was not burned but stil some strange korodion colour was on it. I change that switch and that resolve my problems. Funny and cheap way to fix that lock door problem.. :) good luck!!

[1990]525
08-21-2007, 06:17 AM
My "new to me" '95 530i does the same thing. I was reading in the manual about the Double lock Theft deterrent system and thought the lock/unlock thing was a product of that system.

My trunk lock sticks in when pushed in to open the trunk. I have to manually pop it out. I have noticed that when I do the extra turn to "Double Lock" the trunk then my locks don't do the lock/unlock thing.

I so infrequently use my trunk that keeping it locked is good enough for me :)

artguy
08-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Yes, I usually use the key to get the lock out as well. Thanks for the info...I will have to pull it and do the same one of these days.

No need to. my lock did that to me as well. i had to pull it out with the key! I took the lock out and gave it a good clean with carby cleaner and then soaked it in oil for a few days (i was respraying the car so i had the time to!) pushed it in and out a few dozen times and gave it another good clean with the carby cleaner and now it works like new.

Bin_jammin
08-22-2007, 09:02 AM
I've got a flip flop of this issue, I've got a car that when I unlock the doors, they immediately relock. No amount of unlocking will cause them to stay unlocked. The trunk unlocks the doors still too, so that functions normally. Anyone have ideas?

bmwrp8
08-22-2007, 04:20 PM
mine's like that sometimes also. Turned out to be my front passenger lock was getting stuck so it goes back to lock or vice versa

Wagon Boy
08-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I have a 1991 525it that has all kinds of electrical gremlins in the tailgate. It needs a whole new harness. One day...
But my wife and I thought it was our 10 month old daughter unlocking the doors but maybe it's not.

I also have a 520i that has a bad actuator or something but it does not affect the rest of the system. I have to diagnose these problems but it seems like a thread worth resurrecting.

attack eagle
08-25-2007, 02:02 AM
Fix the gate harness. I need to resolder mine as I did a quickie job and after opening and closing the gate so many times during our move I need to resolder a couple of them

wingman
08-25-2007, 03:27 AM
I did this job today. Following is symptom and fix:

Sympton:
Boot lock and passenger door not operating central locking. Locks would open again when I tried to lock and vice versa. Always took 2 goes to lock and unlock doors.

Fix:
Change 7.5A fuse under rear seat and rejoin broken wire in boot harness.

Cost:
50c for fuse

I had to rejoin a total of 6 wires on the boot harness. This fixed a number of my little 'gremlins'. If you pull the loom away from the plastic retainers it will come out a little easier giving you working access.

Simple fix and great to get the car working as it should again.