PDA

View Full Version : M50 / M52 Swap?

Spasso
08-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Hi Guys,
I know I haven't been around a while but am still into the Bimmer sickness.

I recently aquired a '93, 525 Sport (5-speed) and was curious if the 2.8 liter from my '98, 328 would swap in "bolt for bolt"?

Would I be correct in assuming that the main ECU would have to be changed as well or would the existing be sufficient.

I really haven't seen anything addressing this swap in my searches hence these questions.

Thanks, DJ

P.S And yes it's getting lowered!

ArtemLepilov
08-19-2007, 01:11 AM
The oil pans will not match, so will the harnesses and the computer modules - 2.8 has the OBDII system as opposed to the OBDI on the 525. Why would you want to swap the motor from the 328is? Its a fine car. Is it crashed?

-Artem

ironie
08-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Looks just fine to me..
Nice car, quite clean. It looks like it has already been reasonably lowered.
I am just not cool I guess. And I can't be assed to crawl over every speed bump, Not to mention I like to be able to get it on ramps every now and then.
Yes you will have a long road to travel with that swap from what I have read.
Best a' luck
Regards
Ron

Herb
08-19-2007, 06:57 AM
^^^????? Long road to travel for the swap?????? They are essentially the same motor AND he aready has all of the OBDI parts on his oem motor to boot, AND it is already a 5spd (when I do mine I'll have to do a auto-to-manual swap in the process). As for the computer I'm fairly sure that a EWS delete chip will solve his other problems.

To the OP skip the m52 and just get an s52 3.2l, they can be had for about $3k, and with the OBDI conversion you will have about 240whp, opposed ot 240fwhp, m52 you will still be about the same as before (189hp). Look on www.bimmerforums.com for Mr. Projects s52 swap 525it. (Mods sorry if cross posting of forums in not aloud)

gtopaul
08-19-2007, 07:08 AM
To the OP skip the m52 and just get an s52 3.2l, they can be had for about $3k, and with the OBDI conversion you will have about 240whp, opposed ot 240fwhp, m52 you will still be about the same as before (189hp). Look on www.bimmerforums.com for Mr. Projects s52 swap 525it. (Mods sorry if cross posting of forums in not aloud)

I agree. Not much change putting the M52 in the E34. I installed a S52 in my 525iT and it was quite an improvement. Paid $3k for the 96 S52 engine with less than 50k miles on it.

Paul L

Jon K
08-19-2007, 07:15 AM
M52 is perhaps the BEST engine BMW made with the non vanos right behind, IMO.

M52 has forged crank and rods. 84mm bore makes it great for boost and the longer stroke helps with some off-boost torque. If I didn't have my Non Vanos, I would be looking at M52 swaps. There are also some interesting combinations you can do regarding s50/52 rods and crank etc to get a 2.9 - 3.0L stroker

ironie
08-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I agree. Not much change putting the M52 in the E34. I installed a S52 in my 525iT and it was quite an improvement. Paid $3k for the 96 S52 engine with less than 50k miles on it.

Paul L

I stand corrected. I assumed joining a 98 to 93 would have electircal hurdles
Not having done it I am not surprised I was wrong. Sorry

Jon K
08-19-2007, 07:32 AM
I stand corrected. I assumed joining a 98 to 93 would have electircal hurdles
Not having done it I am not surprised I was wrong. Sorry

Just need to do an OBD1 conversion. Its fairly simple, but if you are absolutely turned off on it, there are companies that make "kits".

ironie
08-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Just need to do an OBD1 conversion. Its fairly simple, but if you are absolutely turned off on it, there are companies that make "kits".
Thanks Jon. I will keep that in mind as I go hunting for a engine to build for a reasonable price. I also wasn't aware that BMW made any none VANOS engines after 92. VANOS doesn't trip my trigger. I was hot for that M5 I found but it isn't a good daily driver.
and as money already has gone into this body I am thinking of finding something with a bit more Umphf, that won't drain tha gas tank dry in my many long waits in traffic. You are a source of many insprations here.
Thanks. Keep up the good work. Maybe if I had a place to powder coat everthing I would too. But I am partial to flat black.
Regards
Ron

Herb
08-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Ron,
You are not as wrong as my post implied, I reread it was a little harsh (not my intention), if the e34 is m20 equiped it is more of a hassle and has many electrical hurdles.:)
Herbert

ironie
08-19-2007, 08:12 AM
Ron,
You are not as wrong as my post implied, I reread it was a little harsh (not my intention), if the e34 is m20 equiped it is more of a hassle and has many electrical hurdles.:)
Herbert
Cheers Herb.
Thanks. I share what I know and learn what I can. I can handle being wrong now and then. Those are my best chances of learning something :). I come from a long line of mechanics, but the BMW is pretty new to me. They didn't make it to the dinky shops I worked at along the way very often. Most of my knowledge is just general. You guys are the gurus and I appreciate your corrections. I am sorry I gave poor info though.
Cheers to you guys to take the time to correct me nicely.
Regards
Ron

Spasso
08-19-2007, 10:19 PM
The oil pans will not match, Are the pans interchangable?

so will the harnesses and the computer modules - 2.8 has the OBDII system as opposed to the OBDI on the 525 I gather from other posts here that this problem can be overcome easily but at this point I have no idea what it involves except for mention of a "kit".

Why would you want to swap the motor from the 328is? Its a fine car. Is it crashed? My 328 is/was a blast to drive. Nice car.

(A) Unfortunately I never could get quite comfortable in it, even with the seat all the way down and all the way back. I'm just too big for it.

(B) Yes, it's crashed. I spun it out one night on the way home from work. Wet road, sand etc.
I skidded sideways along a dirt bank tearing off the airdam and wracking the bumper.
The airbags didn't go off.
The headlights and turn signals didn't even get broken.
The impact was at and below bumper level.
All of the body seams aft still line up.
The doors open and close perfectly.

Currently it runs and drives fine but no forward sheet metal on it.

I thought, "No big deal", until I stripped the sheet metal off. Both frame rails, ahead of the shock towers, were pushed towards the driver's side about 30 degrees. The bill at the frame shop, and new sheet metal would have been more than the car's worth.

(C) I opted for another 5 series because of the room. I stumbled across this 525 sport and couldn't resist.
5-speed,
Positraction 3.23 differential
Winter package
Electric seats with lumbar adjustment.
Rear seat head rests
Installed BMW phone system
Premium sound.
Nice transmission and clutch.
A/C blows cold.
It runs great!

(D) The reason I'm asking about the swap is because I am going to part out the 328 and needed to know if I should keep the engine for future use. It's a strong runner and worth more to me as a back-up than I could probably sell it for.

So, can somebody tell me how difficult the change from OBDI to OBDII is. Winfred maybe?

Thanks for all the great information.
DJ

Spasso
08-20-2007, 01:58 PM
Anybody?

filip00
08-20-2007, 02:07 PM
what's the S for on the 328is? on the european market, we have only 328i, which is 193hp

BMWDriver
08-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Sports dressing as I understand it. M looks without the M stuff like souped engine and all.

This is a good thread. I'll know of my options if ever my engine dies one day.

Spasso
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
what's the S for on the 328is? on the european market, we have only 328i, which is 193hp

It's my understanding that the 'S' has a "sports" suspension and sits a little lower than standard.

This one came with electrically adjustable sports seats (new gears) and the Harmon Kardon sound system. (Unfortunately I just bought new Bavarian Sound Werks door speakers right before this happened. They are still in the box.)

Horse power is the same as yours.

filip00
08-21-2007, 03:35 AM
Sports dressing as I understand it. M looks without the M stuff like souped engine and all.

This is a good thread. I'll know of my options if ever my engine dies one day.

well the car in the picture doesn't look like an m3 at all. bumpers, trim, everything's different on an m3.

clevertd
08-21-2007, 02:01 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/aceves/OBDI/OBD_ONE1.htm

Conversion link^

Spasso
08-21-2007, 11:30 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/aceves/OBDI/OBD_ONE1.htm

Conversion link^
Thank you kind sir!:p:p
This will make for good reading.
The M52 I have is a strong runner and look forward to using it.

Lunch is on me.

Bin_jammin
08-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. Considering you can still open and close the doors, I think you're ok. I don't think the whole frame horn has been wrecked, just what's forward of the wheel arch, where it sticks out and looks bent. I would just bring it to a body shop and have them pull it straight. You'll be able to bolt all your old stuff back up, and have a nice beater bimmer when you're done.

Spasso
08-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. Considering you can still open and close the doors, I think you're ok. I don't think the whole frame horn has been wrecked, just what's forward of the wheel arch, where it sticks out and looks bent. I would just bring it to a body shop and have them pull it straight. You'll be able to bolt all your old stuff back up, and have a nice beater bimmer when you're done.
Those were my thoughts too.
The problem is, the frame tubes are wrinkled and I am told there IS no bending back, that the tubes would need to be replaced for a safe and legal repair. Replacing the tubes would cost more than the car is worth.

I was thinking of wrenching them back myself and welding new sleeves on each tube but after looking at the time and cost plus new radiator, core support, A/C condensor, grill fascia, bumper, airdam , aux fan etc .............I felt like it would be good money after bad.