PDA

View Full Version : Rear Left Door Handle Nearly Dead?

t.wak
08-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Hello Everyone,

My rear left door must be nearly dead. It is a lot "rougher" to open than the others; it's hard to explain. Instead of a nice easy 'clunk' when you open the door, it is harder, and the noise is harsher. It feels like it is just about broken.

Sometimes it will not open from inside.

Is there any way to save it. or what part is gone on it?

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well... If need be I will take a video!

Cheers

Aden

Rory535i
08-17-2007, 10:06 PM
first thing i would do is take the door trim off and have a nosey inside. spray some wd-40 on all the moving parts. check the catch as well

bsell
08-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Hello Everyone,

My rear left door must be nearly dead. It is a lot "rougher" to open than the others; it's hard to explain. Instead of a nice easy 'clunk' when you open the door, it is harder, and the noise is harsher. It feels like it is just about broken.

Sometimes it will not open from inside.

Is there any way to save it. or what part is gone on it?

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well... If need be I will take a video!

Cheers

Aden

Check your door checker thingy, the bar that stops the door from opening too far and also holds the door open on slopes. My same door check (LR) was rusty when I bought the car this past October. I lubed the crap out of it, swung it open-closed about ten times then repeated the process. Lube the part that sits in the door itself as there are rollers that should be rolling freely. Mine didn't at first but got the idea after liberal application of WD-40 and some elbow grease.

While you are at it with the WD-40, give all of your door hinges and door checks a lube job and they will thank you by living longer. Don't forget the hood latch and hood hinges while you are lubing...

Brian

ironie
08-18-2007, 04:27 AM
Wd-40 is a short term solution. The right lube is white lithum

bsell
08-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Wd-40 is a short term solution. The right lube is white lithum

You are so correct. The lithium grease doesn't like to penetrate like the WD-40, that is why I recommended the thinner stuff first. Once the OP has everything moving like it should, then an application of the more durable white lithium is in order.

Brian