PDA

View Full Version : Chirping behind dash

Adnan
08-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Hi,

The first time I used the A/C this year, a really strange sound emanated from behind the dash, like a chattering relay. It lasted for about fifteen seconds and then stopped, however, since that day, there has been this chirp that rhythymically pulses every ten seconds.

Image a relay that bounces say, three times. It sounds like that but oddly, there has been no impact on anything else; A/C works just fine. Once in a while, when I turn off the iignition, that fifteen second chattering will happen again.

Listening to it, I would place the source of the sound at about the level where the steering column enters the dash and to the right of it, between the column and radio. Car is US spec, left hand drive (91 535).

Can it be a vent trying to get into position and getting hung up or is it a relay? I'm hoping someone can help identify the possible culprit before I tear up the dash and randomly poke around.

Thanks,
Adnan

pgrindstaff
08-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I have this chirping as well, but it seems when i turn off the fan it stops. I am not positive this is the source of your chirping, but seems to be mine. Have you tried turning off the fan when the chirping starts? That way you can at least run out the fan.

RallyD
08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
probably the servo motors that control the blend doors in the HVAC system.

before you turn the car off next time turn all knobs to 0, wait about 15 seconds and see if it still makes the noise.

Sam-Son
08-17-2007, 07:58 PM
Chirping...maybe there's a bird in your dash:p