PDA

View Full Version : rear shock hat - Touring

jdt10768
08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Has anybody replaced the rear shock hat in a Touring model? Any info appreciated.

Elekta
08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
for the glass hatch? It's a bitch and will cost over a $100 in labor not incl the two glass shocks which are around $35 ea from bma.

however, there is a write up somewhere (maybe bruno? or gale?) on the procedure, but the key is a long flat head screwdriver, or better yet one of those forked weed pullers to force that little compression fit end on the shock that needs to snap onto a ball mount deep inside the roof.

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Naw, it's easy

one long screw driver, magnet and a few beers.

remove the trim, use the magnet to catch the little C clip on the hatch side of the strut, take the long screw driver and gently slide it under the strut and lever it downwards to pop the strut up and off the ball mount.

put the new one in by lining up the socket to the ball and level the screw driver from the top to gently press the socket of the strut on to the ball. You should feel and hear a pop as it engages. replace the C cilp and trim...now do it again on the other side.

Oh yeah I forgot about the beer.....use it anytime you feel like you can't get the socket back on to the ball...it keeps you from throwing stuff.

Elekta
08-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I forgot the beer;; no wonder I struggled getting that socket to pop on.

jdt10768
08-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys. I actually meant the shock hat on top of the rear shock mount - not the pistons for the glass hatch. I may not be using the right terminology. I am hearing a fairly strong rattle from the right rear shock area. I think that the shock is loose where it attaches at the top (shock hat?). How do you access that area on a touring model?

BimmerMeUp
08-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Here's a link to some instructions that should get you there:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/suspension/Data/1995%20BMW%20525iT-Rear%20Strut.pdf