PDA

View Full Version : How long do thrust arms and bushings last?

Sam-Son
08-17-2007, 01:41 AM
My thrust arms were replaced not 5000 miles ago and already I'm getting that horrid shimmy in the 50-60 mph range. What's going on? Any Ideas?
Thanks
-Mike:(

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Hub-Centric rings????????????????????????????????
Should be longer than that,Suggest you look elsewhere, hence my comment.

Sam-Son
08-17-2007, 02:14 AM
Hub-Centric rings????????????????????????????????
Should be longer than that,Suggest you look elsewhere, hence my comment.
Originally I had crappy spacers which I thought was the source of the problem the first time but after looking through the bentley book I found out it wa the thrust arms, replaced them and the problem went away. and I replaced the crappy spacers with Eibach spacers from Bavauto. Now the problem's back I kinda doubt it's the spacers because they're of rather high quality. Any other ideas maybe some how the wheel is out of balance?
Thanks
-Mike

Ferret
08-17-2007, 03:43 AM
Originally I had crappy spacers which I thought was the source of the problem the first time but after looking through the bentley book I found out it wa the thrust arms, replaced them and the problem went away. and I replaced the crappy spacers with Eibach spacers from Bavauto. Now the problem's back I kinda doubt it's the spacers because they're of rather high quality. Any other ideas maybe some how the wheel is out of balance?
Thanks
-Mike

Did you buy lemfoerder parts, or cheapo ones? If you buy the cheapo ones expect them to wear out every 6 months.

Did you do the lower control arms at the same time? They cause just as many problems.

jdecker1
08-17-2007, 04:54 AM
My thrust arms were replaced not 5000 miles ago and already I'm getting that horrid shimmy in the 50-60 mph range. What's going on? Any Ideas?
Thanks
-Mike:(
Were the control arm/bushings changed at the same time? Have your wheels been dynamically balanced? Nice looking car, by the way!

BigKriss
08-17-2007, 05:56 AM
did you torque the bushes under load like on some ramps? id say lower bushes last 220,000+kms and the upper ones, 100,000kms+ depending on the type.

E34-520iSE
08-17-2007, 07:12 AM
NOT LONG ENOUGH GRRRR!

Cheers,

Shaun M

Ross
08-17-2007, 07:20 AM
I would also point to improper installation. Even the cheesiest should go more than 5k.
If the bushing through bolt is tightened with the suspension hanging it is always under load. Loosening and retightening the bolt with the car on the ground might relieve it a bit.

winfred
08-17-2007, 07:49 AM
seen blue ones crap out and start shimmeying in 3 months, seen green ones crap in 6, m5's are the way to go, if it shimmeys with m5's A, your rotors are warped or B, your running ungodly heavy wheels C, your wheels are square/way outta balance (seen a wheel with 15oz of weight on it where they didn't know dick about using a balancer, i am waiting to find the holy grail of ****tard balancer, a full pound of weight on a car tire)

632 Regal
08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
I haven't tore up my M5 bushings yet, the stockers and 750 bushings I can tear up in less than a day if I'm testing things :D

Sam-Son
08-17-2007, 02:32 PM
No I haven't replaced the lower control arm bushings and I don't remember if I balanced the wheels. Now I 'm gonna go check these things out. Where can I get some M5 bushings?

Regal- When you say tear up the bushings do you mean this can happen from "spirited driving" because I certainly do alot of that. Could I have worn them out from hard driving?

632 Regal
08-19-2007, 11:12 AM
hard breaking did it on mine, jab the brakes hard before the antilock will seperate the rubber from the metal every time. You can get the arms and M5 bushing mounted from BMA. Spend the big bucks for the lemforder arms so the ball joints dont fall out in a few months.

No I haven't replaced the lower control arm bushings and I don't remember if I balanced the wheels. Now I 'm gonna go check these things out. Where can I get some M5 bushings?

Regal- When you say tear up the bushings do you mean this can happen from "spirited driving" because I certainly do alot of that. Could I have worn them out from hard driving?

525SEI BRIT
08-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Anybody on here running Powerflex Front Bushings? whats the consensus?! i replaced the rears about 6 months ago and they seam fine. now im considering replacing the front set (Upper and lower control arms + antirolbar 25mm) as the dreaded shimmy has reared its ugly head! first time on this car owned for 18 months. origonal Factory M-tech Suspension.

Herb
08-19-2007, 03:57 PM
Do the e31 840i/850i with the bearings wear out as fast too? Same Q as Brit about the PowerFlex/urethane bushings in general (my e30 is on stiff gc's and I like my ride stiff... Punn if u must :P) I'm in the process of gathering all of my suspension parts and would like to do it right ONE time, instead of going "Oh ****, I should have use those instead..."
Herbert

Ferret
08-19-2007, 04:01 PM
Anybody on here running Powerflex Front Bushings? whats the consensus?! i replaced the rears about 6 months ago and they seam fine. now im considering replacing the front set (Upper and lower control arms + antirolbar 25mm) as the dreaded shimmy has reared its ugly head! first time on this car owned for 18 months. origonal Factory M-tech Suspension.

I'm about to do the TCAs with powerflex bushings, as soon as I get paid this time around *roll eyes*

Will let everyone know what the outcome is.

Jehu
08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I got a real world test of my new M5 bushings today when i drove over a pavement cut where the whole road suddenly rises about two inches at a hard right angle where they've cut down the road to repave it. No sign warning the danger ahead just suddenly WHAM then total shock and rage at the idiocy of not alerting motorists to their stupidity.. i saw it maybe twenty feet ahead but it looked like a clean seam from there so i didn't slow down ,hit it at about 30 mph... everything seems to have held up ok thought when i made it onto the highway and tagged 100 for a strech.. I was ready to sue!

BuckNaked
08-19-2007, 06:32 PM
I'm a bit ignorant here. I didn't think you could use spacers with hubcentric rings. Maybe your wheel isn't centering on the hub like it should.
Are your tires all same size? Are you rotating? (not recommended)

Russell
08-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Why are you using spacers with BMW style 32 wheels? I just bought a set of 17x8 style 32 wheels. It is my understanding they have the correct offset to use on a 95 without spacers etc. I am planning to use 235x45x17 tires all arround with metal or plastic hubcentric rings. I have both.

This has me worried.

Are you running staggered wheels and/or extra large tires?

BTW, I replaced my upper control arms with Lemforder/750 bushings about 18 months ago with no issues with vibration unitil a few months ago. Vibration when braking. Turned the rotors and no more vibration. However I rotate and balance tires every 5,000 miles. Hope this experience helps.

Sam-Son
08-20-2007, 01:16 AM
Why are you using spacers with BMW style 32 wheels? I just bought a set of 17x8 style 32 wheels. It is my understanding they have the correct offset to use on a 95 without spacers etc. I am planning to use 235x45x17 tires all arround with metal or plastic hubcentric rings. I have both.

This has me worried.

Are you running staggered wheels and/or extra large tires?

BTW, I replaced my upper control arms with Lemforder/750 bushings about 18 months ago with no issues with vibration unitil a few months ago. Vibration when braking. Turned the rotors and no more vibration. However I rotate and balance tires every 5,000 miles. Hope this experience helps.
Just for clarification I unfortunately have the 3 series offset so I needed 15mm spacers in the front to keed the wheel from rubbing the suspension. then I added 20mm spacers in back to push the wheels out so they didn't look pushed in. I'm looking to get the Staggered style 32's with the proper offset with 255's rear or wider if possible

Bucknaked-I haven't rotated my tires and they're 235/45's all around

Russell
08-20-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks-I should have thought about the 3-series wheel issue. I have heard of it before.

SnakeyesTx
08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm actually having the same issue. I replaced my bushings with the heavier 750 bushings about 9 months ago and it still shook. Took it back to the shop and they replaced the front struts. Shake went away until about a month ago.

I'm running out of ideas on what to replace! Been reading that the 750 bushings are solid and better quality and don't wear out like the liquid filled ones... at least not THIS soon.

Wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and can enlighten us on what they've found to be the culprit.

I'm running stock rims and stock size tires. My tire balance is questionable right now, but it has the exact same steering wheel wiggle it did before I replaced the bushings/struts. :(

Sam-Son
08-20-2007, 12:36 PM
This whole thrust arm bushing wear issue really suprises me because the E34 is pretty tough and reliable car I can't believe that you can replace a part and have it go bad so quickly