PDA

View Full Version : decorative windshield trim: clips?

[1990]525
08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
I just received a new front windshield trim which I purchased from a member of the board, and I took a few seconds to examine the installation for when I have more time. It looks like about half of the clips surrounding the windshield have the retaining piece cracked off. Now that I have looked at how the clips are attached, I feel I may be in for more work than I thought it would be. Anyone with experience: how did you remove the plastic clips from the windshield, and more importantly how did you reattach them? Does the windshield need to be removed or not? Because I asked about replacing the trim and most people said you don't need to remove the windshield in the process, but then another thread had a lot of people claiming that if the trim has come off it's almost definitely because the clips have broken and the windshield needs to be removed or risk of leaks. How did you get your windshield trim and clips reinstalled?? Thanks a lot again guys!

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
you can replace the clips by getting under them with a thin putty knife or razor blade between the outside of the glass and the clip

They should come off once you've under cut them and wiggle them free, slip the new ones in the exact same place with a little silicon.

filip00
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
last time i was removing the windshield, i first removed the rubber trim, and then the clips. so my guess, 95% sure that clips go out WITHOUT the glass.

mattyb
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
dont stress its easy as BOB says. sharp knife etc. then pop the new ones in, if they are hard to get in just trim them down a bit. yes I have done this before as I lost the whole lot at high speed. there is absolutley no need to remove the windscreen!!!!!