PDA

View Full Version : Rear red/M5 decorative trim; how is it attached?

t.wak
08-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Hello Everyone,

I had a search but it seems this item is called many things.

What I am talking about is that rear reflector piece that sits in behind the license plate and fills in the gap between the two rear lights. The M5s I believe had it just black; but I am looking to get the red one for my car.

I was just wondering how it is attached from the factory, and what would be the best way to attach it to my car?

Thanks a lot

Aden

filip00
08-16-2007, 05:44 PM
you stick it with double sided tape, and then when you screw the license plate, the two screws hold it securely. i had it, but i pulled it off, didn't look that good.

LunatiC
08-16-2007, 10:34 PM
I still have mine. I tried putting double sided tape but it didn't hold very well, so mine is stuck on the back with the screws used to hold the licence plate to the car.

CharlesAFerg
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
I used a ton of strategically placed double sided outdoor foam adhesive tape. I don't know what you guys are talking about, but it's SO HARD tog et it off, even when I try, even when it's hot!
No way that's ever falling off.

Factory drills holes in the rear panel, and there is also a special grommet around the (also special) trunk button to seal it in better.

KenB
08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Mine had a red one when I bought it, I didn't like it so took it off and tossed it. It was held on with the plate screws and double sided foam tape, it was not easy to get off and the tape took a little paint with it. Maybe I'll replace it with a black one.

Sam-Son
08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Does this trim come in black?

kev535i
08-17-2007, 03:59 PM
yes its an M5 part

RallyD
08-17-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.abrahamsmotorsport.com/e34.htm

t.wak
08-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the help, Guys.

bayviewsbb
08-18-2007, 02:02 AM
you stick it with double sided tape, and then when you screw the license plate, the two screws hold it securely. i had it, but i pulled it off, didn't look that good.
if you've still got the item can I buy it off you..?
Cheers,
bayviewsbb

bayviewsbb
08-18-2007, 02:05 AM
If you've still got the item can I buy it off you..?
Cheers,
bayviewsbb

I still have mine. I tried putting double sided tape but it didn't hold very well, so mine is stuck on the back with the screws used to hold the licence plate to the car.

LunatiC
08-19-2007, 05:29 AM
I still have mine, and don't intend to sell it, sorry.

If you've still got the item can I buy it off you..?
Cheers,
bayviewsbb

Jon K
08-19-2007, 07:16 AM
I just got one - I need to try the double side tape but I think I might just drill my trunklid because I am hardcore like that.

525SEI BRIT
08-19-2007, 01:10 PM
http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/4531/dsc00017copynh9.jpgGo With a black one, its a much cleaner look on a darker car. and for that add individual touch Color code it if you like.

The best way to stick anything like this is with Sikaflex plus it doesn't damage the paint. i also used the number plate screws as the holes are already their. but then Stuck the Plate over the top for a cleaner look.

believe it or Not that spoiler is stuck on purely with Sikaflex. nothing else! and i can often be found storming down the autobahn bouncing of the speed limiter.:D

Which reminds me, with an EAT chip installed, dose anybody know what speed the 540 tops out at?