PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Suspension question!

txp135
08-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Hi, I had an indi put in my new springs/shocks/control arms and related components. Now my steering will not return to center. And the steering feels like I also have rear wheel steering. When I turn, there's a slight sound that sounds like rubbing (very slight). He told me to go get a wheel alignment first and then see what happens. I'm very concerned and haven't driven the car over 45mph. Help!

Evan
08-15-2007, 04:31 PM
what are the related components?

txp135
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
frt control arm
thrust arm
pitman arms
idler arm
bushing
sway bar link front
center link
tie rod

I won't have internet anymore tonight. Will check back tomorrow morning. everything I replace is OE for a 95 540i 6sp. Thanks

Blitzkrieg Bob
08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
the alignment should have been done right after the suspension job.

whiskychaser
08-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Hi, I had an indi put in my new springs/shocks/control arms and related components. Now my steering will not return to center. And the steering feels like I also have rear wheel steering. When I turn, there's a slight sound that sounds like rubbing (very slight). He told me to go get a wheel alignment first and then see what happens. I'm very concerned and haven't driven the car over 45mph. Help!
Last year the garage I used insisted I needed a new centre tie rod to pass the MOT. (Thats what real.oem call it) The new part was slightly longer than the old one and totally screwed up the steering to the extent it would not self centre at all! Pretty hairy when you come round a corner and have to heave the wheel back. I also got the scraping noise from underneath the front. The new part totally screwed the alignment but once that was corrected it handled fine. I just had it rechecked and it was one degree out. But I never did find where the noise came from.

markus
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
i think its faIled upper strut bearings. my car doenst return to center by itself. when i did my front shocks the bearings inside the front mounts were really rough and the one was kinda loose. they didnt spin smoothly. have you checked those? i should have replaced mine when i was in there but i dindt have the money. sigh.

632 Regal
08-15-2007, 06:37 PM
its possible that they installed the control arms on opposite sides....Someone did that very thing about a month ago...not mentioning any names (Alexlind) :D

Evan
08-15-2007, 10:09 PM
you can't mess with the steering and then not align it...

head for a quality alignment to take that out of the equation!

mamilapon
08-16-2007, 02:43 AM
I think if he has changed the pitman arm he must hve put the replacement part the wrong way.

CharlesAFerg
08-16-2007, 02:46 AM
its possible that they installed the control arms on opposite sides....Someone did that very thing about a month ago...not mentioning any names (Alexlind) :D

Bashin the 'Lind?
YOU GONNA DIE MOFUGGA!
http://media.threadless.com/product/435/minizoom.jpg
WEST COAST GANGSTAZ!!!

txp135
08-16-2007, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your help, I'm going to check all those things