PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start, CEL problem

guitarfish
08-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I have a 1990 525i E34 M20 imported from Japan. Initially it was running a little rough and was spluttering for a couple of seconds after cold start. It was fairly hard to start cold. I took it to my local garage (not a bmw outfit). He gave it a tune up, replaced the ht leads, plugs, rotor, fuel pump relay and said I had a problem with the idler stepper motor (whatever that is). I got it back and it ran well but still had a cold start fault. Back to the garage - he repaired the idler stepper motor (said it would save spending $3000 on a new computer) and the cold start fault was fixed for about a week. Then it reappeared. I gained a new fault where the CEL occasionally flicks on complete with a engine cutout - then it goes away. This happens when the engine is warm. The car starts fine when warm. Unfortunately I can't do a stomp test to find out the engine codes as nothing happens when I attempt it.

I am sick of taking it to a garage where they can't fix the problem so would like to attempt fixing the problems myself. I have a Haynes manual and was going to check the Cold Start Injector/thermotime switch. Is this worth doing? Any other items I should check/replace?

guitarfish
08-23-2007, 02:05 AM
Fixed - gave the Idle Control Valve a clean in a PD680 bath then a good squirting of CRC contact cleaner. Silly me - wasn't the CEL light it was the brake light telling me I should stop.