PDA

View Full Version : chip for 540 with EWS now available!

MarkD
08-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been around here for over a month. My diabetes was acting up, and when I returned from Chicago I also had symptoms of sunburn or shingles (I don't know which, and my doctor was on vacation)

I'm sure some of you were wondering about the MAF I was working on. I haven't had time to work much on it but hope to have time in about a week or two.

The current news is that I've completed a chip for the 95 540i/6 with EWS.
I just need the last 7 digits of your VIN before shipping a chip.

It's been tested in Atlanta and works perfectly. This also is the most potent 540 chip I've ever made. You can order directly from the site within a day, as I'll have it added to the products page by this evening.

I'll be releasing a new version of the non-EWS chip which will have the same maps that this one has. If yoiu have one of those, send in your old chip + $50 to get the new version if you are interested.

Mark

compmore
08-15-2007, 06:57 AM
have a 94 540 and considering a chip for it.but don't know what ews means

rgds,
geoff

MarkD
08-15-2007, 07:22 AM
have a 94 540 and considering a chip for it.but don't know what ews means

rgds,
geoff

What is EWS-II? EWS-II is an additional theft-deterrent system that BMW installed in cars beginning in Dec 1994 (12/94). On cars with EWS-II the signal from the key must match up to a signal coming from the EWS-II and DME computers or the car will not start.

How does it work? The key for your BMW has a microchip embedded in it that sends an analog signal to an antenna within the ignition lock on the steering column. The antenna sends the signal to the EWS-II computer. The EWS-II computer then checks with the DME to validate the code. The car can only be started when the DME recognizes the code from the EWS-II computer. The key is simply turned, and by the time the ignition switch is reached, the EWS-II system has finished its processes and identified the electronic coding in the key and 'granted' starting permission.

540's with EWS have DME number 0 261 203 484 installed, not the 0 261 200 404.

They also have a ring arround the ignition cylinder which houses the antenna that picks up the signal from the key.

525SEI BRIT
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
Umm sounds interesting, I have a 95 540 UK spec. would this chip be suitable? If so do you have some more info I could checkout dyno, bhp, torque, etc.

Also are their any reliability issues? I rely on my motor and I’m often hundreds of miles from home. I know the m60 is good for plenty more. But it must start every time and run all day at 120 on the autobahn!!

Is it a simple plug and play?

Sorry for so many q’s but mechanics I can comprehend, electrics/ engine management is still a bit of a mystery!!

Cheers.

DABIMR
08-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Definitely interested..

yaofeng
08-15-2007, 10:54 PM
What is EWS-II? EWS-II is an additional theft-deterrent system that BMW installed in cars beginning in Dec 1994 (12/94). On cars with EWS-II the signal from the key must match up to a signal coming from the EWS-II and DME computers or the car will not start.

How does it work? The key for your BMW has a microchip embedded in it that sends an analog signal to an antenna within the ignition lock on the steering column. The antenna sends the signal to the EWS-II computer. The EWS-II computer then checks with the DME to validate the code. The car can only be started when the DME recognizes the code from the EWS-II computer. The key is simply turned, and by the time the ignition switch is reached, the EWS-II system has finished its processes and identified the electronic coding in the key and 'granted' starting permission.

540's with EWS have DME number 0 261 203 484 installed, not the 0 261 200 404.

They also have a ring arround the ignition cylinder which houses the antenna that picks up the signal from the key.

EWS-I started in 1/94
EWS-II started in 1/95.

MarkD
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM
If any of you are interested in this new chip for 95 540i/6's with EWS-II and DME 0 261 203 484, you should read this thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809060 as it has some feedback from people with the chip (slvr98 M ) and a few others who have a new version of the chip for EWS-1 DME's, 0 261 200 404.

There is going to be a group buy running for the EWS-II chip soon.

MarkD

MaloventEvil
08-19-2007, 11:53 PM
If any of you are interested in this new chip for 95 540i/6's with EWS-II and DME 0 261 203 484, you should read this thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=809060 as it has some feedback from people with the chip (slvr98 M ) and a few others who have a new version of the chip for EWS-1 DME's, 0 261 200 404.

There is going to be a group buy running for the EWS-II chip soon.

MarkD

just an update that that thread was deleted :(

Jehu
08-20-2007, 06:09 AM
And i was just beginning to understand this whole thing,lol.... For insstance I thought since my production date was 12-13-94 I had EWS-II i know i have a chip in the key from changing the battery and i beleived 900 APPR. VEH.IMMOBILIZAT. ACC. TO AZT/TUEV is the EWS listed as an option on the shipping information but i have the 404 DME.. Mark did say i have a rare one he's only seen once but has succesfully programmed a chip for it and though it was an automatic it will work as is for my manual so I am going to grab that after paying some bills.

MarkD
08-20-2007, 08:00 AM
And i was just beginning to understand this whole thing,lol.... For insstance I thought since my production date was 12-13-94 I had EWS-II i know i have a chip in the key from changing the battery and i beleived 900 APPR. VEH.IMMOBILIZAT. ACC. TO AZT/TUEV is the EWS listed as an option on the shipping information but i have the 404 DME.. Mark did say i have a rare one he's only seen once but has succesfully programmed a chip for it and though it was an automatic it will work as is for my manual so I am going to grab that after paying some bills.

Dec 94 was the transistion month for EWS-II. Your car may have EWS-II but have a 404 DME. The only difference I can see between the two is that a 484 has an extra small 8 pin chip that has some EWS data in it. So it's possible that they added that chip to the last few 404 DME's if the 484's were not yet ready. I'll photograph a 484 and post a picture so you can check for that 8 pin chip on your 404. (the 404's I've seen have bare pads there to which an IC can be soldered)

Also, the cars with a 404 DME have EWS-I, so maybe that's what you have.
They don't need a special chip.

Mark

MTechnik540i
08-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I haven't been around here for over a month. My diabetes was acting up, and when I returned from Chicago I also had symptoms of sunburn or shingles (I don't know which, and my doctor was on vacation)

I'm sure some of you were wondering about the MAF I was working on. I haven't had time to work much on it but hope to have time in about a week or two.

The current news is that I've completed a chip for the 95 540i/6 with EWS.
I just need the last 7 digits of your VIN before shipping a chip.

It's been tested in Atlanta and works perfectly. This also is the most potent 540 chip I've ever made. You can order directly from the site within a day, as I'll have it added to the products page by this evening.

I'll be releasing a new version of the non-EWS chip which will have the same maps that this one has. If yoiu have one of those, send in your old chip + $50 to get the new version if you are interested.

Mark

I believe you also burnt a Beta chip for our 10/95 M-Sport 540ia a few years back. We've been very pleased with the results, I might add. Need to eventually put the thing on the Dyno.

Panzer Captain
08-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Can I run a motor out of a '95 540 on a 404 DME out of a '94 530?

MarkD
08-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Can I run a motor out of a '95 540 on a 404 DME out of a '94 530?

Yes, but you need a chip for a 540.

merlin
08-25-2007, 01:33 PM
Is this new chip also available for auto trans or just the 6-speed?

MarkD
08-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Is this new chip also available for auto trans or just the 6-speed?

Presently just the 6 speed, I need to read an auto one before release that.

I have read and made a chip for a 740iA with EWS so maybe I should make it from that one for now.

MarkD

MaloventEvil
08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
what's the price again?