PDA

View Full Version : 540i and 530i 5-speed mounting bolts

markus
08-14-2007, 03:28 PM
is it true they are the same? i can re-use the bolts from my auto tranny with the 5-speed 530i tranny?

JKBe30m3
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
They should work without any problems. They did for me on my swap.

markus
08-15-2007, 11:18 PM
was your 530i an auto to start with or no? i still have many a questions.

Antrieb
08-16-2007, 10:39 AM
+1 I think they should be fine. What more questions? How is the swap coming?

markus
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
well antreib im glad you asked.

as far as the swap goes im still collecting parts. I will probly be getting my tranny next week. it came off a 1995 530i with 98k on it. Comes with a shifter, and one of the hydraulic hoses as well as the clutch fork. Its in Long Island, NY. I dont know how much it will cost to ship it to my house in PA but nobody i know with a truck is willing to help me go and pick it up.

Im also a little lost, how do I route the clutch lines? I understand theres a reservior in the enigine bay with a hose that goes from the reservior to the clutch master, the clutch master then goes to a hard line, to a rubber then back to a hard line. If you can get me some pics id be happy to see how this mounts and whatnot.

Also what about reverse lights? Would the existing connector just plug into the one on the 530 tranny?

What type of wiring issues will I face? I know you have to splice whatever wire to the ground wire on the tranny range connector?

i have a driveshaft from a 530i also, as a matter of fact this is the only part I have for the swap, will this work with my existing 540i diff?

thats about it for now. Im kinda weary about dropping a tranny as I have never done it before. And im kinda worried about once I get things underway ill run into some problems. Id like it if someone was willing to come and help me. Id even buy them food and let them stay here for the night.

I still need a pedal box, I think this is the first thing I want to swap. I can atleast do this without a lift, I can then have the reservior mounted as well as the pedals in place and the hose that runs out of the clutch master. This would be a good first step IMO cuz then once I get the tranny in place all i have to do is hook eveyrthing up.

Panzer Captain
08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
I have a pedal box for you also, Mark.

markus
08-16-2007, 05:03 PM
any ideas on the shipping? i think euro depot quoted me like, $70 to ship a tranny.

yaofeng
08-16-2007, 05:23 PM
well antreib im glad you asked.

as far as the swap goes im still collecting parts. I will probly be getting my tranny next week. it came off a 1995 530i with 98k on it. Comes with a shifter, and one of the hydraulic hoses as well as the clutch fork. Its in Long Island, NY. I dont know how much it will cost to ship it to my house in PA but nobody i know with a truck is willing to help me go and pick it up.

Im also a little lost, how do I route the clutch lines? I understand theres a reservior in the enigine bay with a hose that goes from the reservior to the clutch master, the clutch master then goes to a hard line, to a rubber then back to a hard line. If you can get me some pics id be happy to see how this mounts and whatnot.

Also what about reverse lights? Would the existing connector just plug into the one on the 530 tranny?

What type of wiring issues will I face? I know you have to splice whatever wire to the ground wire on the tranny range connector?

i have a driveshaft from a 530i also, as a matter of fact this is the only part I have for the swap, will this work with my existing 540i diff?

thats about it for now. Im kinda weary about dropping a tranny as I have never done it before. And im kinda worried about once I get things underway ill run into some problems. Id like it if someone was willing to come and help me. Id even buy them food and let them stay here for the night.

I still need a pedal box, I think this is the first thing I want to swap. I can atleast do this without a lift, I can then have the reservior mounted as well as the pedals in place and the hose that runs out of the clutch master. This would be a good first step IMO cuz then once I get the tranny in place all i have to do is hook eveyrthing up.

If you are not getting a package deal like I did on my 6 speed conversion you need to buy the hard clutch line and clips from the dealer. Check the etk for part numbers. The auto does not have a reverse light switch. It is part of the wiring which goes from the auto transmission to the ecu box. I spliced a wire from the shifter to the reverse light switch on the 6 speed. I used a generic two prong Bosch connector I saved from a SAAB 9000 I wrecked a few years ago. You can get the connector from AutoHauz I believe.

The jumper wire is to supply power to the ignition switch in absence of the auto shifter. The bottom two wires go to the reverse light switch.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3538.jpg

Picture of the master sticking out of the fire wall and the hard line connected to it. A clip is on the bottom left of the picture.http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/Re-exposureofDSC_3375.jpg

The clutch fluid reservoir.http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/DSC_3343.jpg