PDA

View Full Version : Very strange auto tranny behavior

warton
08-13-2007, 06:39 PM
First of all, to any of you who might remember me, hi. <wave> It's been a long while since I've hung out here. But you'll be pleased to know (or depressed to find out) I've still got both the '89 535iA and the '92 525iT (which is < 500 miles from 200,000). Anyway, the problem this time is the 535 transmission.

Here's what it is doing: fine in first gear and reverse. But once it shifts into second it's as if the rear wheels lock up and the thing just stops. Like it's in park or something. If I put it in manual mode, it doesn't move in 2-3 and it's not free-revving. I fear that everything but first and reverse is seized up, but hoping against hope that there might be something simple wrong with it. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks,
Peter

Ross
08-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Sounds to me as if two gears are being applied at once. This is likely a valve body issue. That's all I can offer.

Ferret
08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Sounds to me as if two gears are being applied at once. This is likely a valve body issue. That's all I can offer.

Yeah sounds about right, driving it like this will probably result in a loud snapping noise, resulting in no forwards motion in any gear.