PDA

View Full Version : Hood latch and oil filter mod

Jon K
08-12-2007, 04:56 PM
I went up to the shop to do some work on the engine - got everything I wanted done so I decided to find some stuff to do. I took off the hood latch roller things and the oil filter lid and powdercoated them.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/hoodlatch.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/wrinkleblack.jpg

I especially like the wrinkle black UUC oil lid.

Macv
08-12-2007, 05:59 PM
It's the small touches that count.

uscharalph
08-13-2007, 12:17 AM
Niiice!

t.wak
08-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Lol, Powdercoat king

NovceGuru
08-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Eh....hood rollers look rice imo

ironie
08-13-2007, 06:30 AM
I went up to the shop to do some work on the engine - got everything I wanted done so I decided to find some stuff to do. I took off the hood latch roller things and the oil filter lid and powdercoated them.

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/hoodlatch.jpg

http://blowneuroz.com/mygallery/E34%20525i%20Photos/wrinkleblack.jpg

I especially like the wrinkle black UUC oil lid.

You obviously need some help Mate, But we are all enjoying watching you go nuts. Soon it will be too clean to drive...Hell it already is
Awesome work all the way around,
I bet the rear diff could use a powder coat, The trailing arms could look pretty snazzy to. :D

I am of course just kidding mate
Were I crazy I might turbo and mega-squirt my 520.
But I already clean my car too much.
The powdercoating is getting a bit out there Jon
But it looks like you are having fun
Thanks for sharing it with us.
Regards
Ron

Ferret
08-13-2007, 07:54 AM
I bet the rear diff could use a powder coat, The trailing arms could look pretty snazzy to. :D

I am of course just kidding mate

Oh crap, you're giving him ideas :D

misfortune
08-13-2007, 11:07 AM
jon k you are my idol never change

Jon K
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Oh crap, you're giving him ideas :D

Thanks everyone for the compliments and critique :)

I already intend to take the front sub frame out when we do my engine, blast it and powder coat it - thinking just plain jane black. The transmission, differential, and rear sub frame will also be powder coated as time comes.

The beauty about this stuff is that its incredibly durable - I couldn't even blast the messed up first batch off the part - I just had to rough it up and re-coat. It sounds silly, but when you can spray an engine down with simple green and hose it off COMPLETELY you really start to see how great this process is.

Between the powder coat, ceramic coat, and teflon coat process i've learned a lot :)

winfred
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
dammit your making me want a oven and gun, wonder if the craftsman gun is worth a ****, the harbor freight gun looks like a tinkertoy

BMWDriver
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Very nice work. So how much horsepower are you up to then ?

ironie
08-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I am sorry it was taken as critique Jon. You are doing nothing I am in any place to critique. I suppose I am just jealous of your motivation and facilities.
You are doing a awesome job, and I am living vicariously watching you.
My Salute mate.
Peace
Ron

Booster
08-13-2007, 03:19 PM
..........And "YES".....powdercoating your penis WILL act like a condem.....or at least birth control,lol.:p
.......Looks great Jon as always.I may be working on some nice M50 CF engine covers this Fall/Winter for us. SO pick a color theme for Carbon/kevlar . They come in a variety of mixes.....like blk/drk.green !;)
Vinny

Ferret
08-13-2007, 04:55 PM
..........And "YES".....powdercoating your penis WILL act like a condem.....or at least birth control,lol.

I wouldnt be so much worried about the coating bit as the baking it at 300 degrees bit!

That, and these systems work on static charge dont they... *bzzzk* :D

Jon K
08-13-2007, 05:28 PM
..........And "YES".....powdercoating your penis WILL act like a condem.....or at least birth control,lol.:p
.......Looks great Jon as always.I may be working on some nice M50 CF engine covers this Fall/Winter for us. SO pick a color theme for Carbon/kevlar . They come in a variety of mixes.....like blk/drk.green !;)
Vinny

Hmm that'd be interesting - how serious are you about going thru w/ it ;)

Booster
08-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Hmm that'd be interesting - how serious are you about going thru w/ it ;)

I'M NOT POWDERCOATING MY JUNK, are you kid......oh, you mean the CF covers ?lol.:p
VERY. I've already bought 3 sets of covers including a "M Power" version to do.
So its going to happen.
Vinny