PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel replacement

andyman32
05-12-2004, 11:43 AM
This is ridiculously simplistic, but Bentley's tells me to remove the steering wheel housing in order to get to the airbag sensor clip. Simple as that.

On my car, the housing is 1 solid plastic piece that goes all the way around the column, which appears to slide on once the steering wheel is already off.

So what do I do here? I can't get at the sensor clip inside the housing, but I can't get inside the housing before I remove the airbag and the wheel.

Any tips?

Bill R.
05-12-2004, 11:56 AM
2 pieces as I posted here.

(http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/airBagAndBulbs_files/airBagAndBulbs.html)

This is ridiculously simplistic, but Bentley's tells me to remove the steering wheel housing in order to get to the airbag sensor clip. Simple as that.

On my car, the housing is 1 solid plastic piece that goes all the way around the column, which appears to slide on once the steering wheel is already off.

So what do I do here? I can't get at the sensor clip inside the housing, but I can't get inside the housing before I remove the airbag and the wheel.

Any tips?

632 Regal
05-12-2004, 11:57 AM
ummm...make sure you disconnect the battery first.

as to your question I cant help.

brick8
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
I am pretty sure mine is also one piece (just did this over the weekend). You have to remove the screw (there is only one) and slide the cover off (it has an opening that lets you pull it around the stalks) under the steering column. I also removed the lower coverings because I needed to access the steering bolt, but I don't remember if that is necessary for what you are doing. Make sure you disconnect the battery cable and follow the other precautions in the Bentley manual when working on the airbag.