PDA

View Full Version : Headgasket sealant- M30 engine

Dash01
08-11-2007, 02:32 PM
A friend with many years experience as a car mechanic suggests using marine grade sealant on the mating surfaces of the head and block when installing a new head gasket. He's never had one leak.

Anybody tried this? Comments, suggestions?

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Good move,I use CAT sealant in a pot with brush in top and never had a second problem, Ford used it on 520hp BDT and Opel on turbo 2.4 engine so I copied them.Only down side is if you have to take off gasket for other reasons,bitch to release!

BigKriss
08-11-2007, 09:59 PM
I used hylomar

winfred
08-11-2007, 10:12 PM
i don't like anything on my new head gasket, it's not designed to need any supplemental sealant, additional goo could interfere with the gasket sealing up and or get squashed into oil/coolant passages, m30 cooling systems are bad about blowing crud into the pisser tube going to the coolant bottle clogging up the hole causing odd overheating issues, now if you are talking about a steel gasket for a turbo project some copper spray does the trick

Dash01
08-12-2007, 09:48 AM
BTW, does anybody know where I can find a good schematic drawing of where and how the coolant flows through the M30 engine? I'd like to know all the nooks and crannies, seals, gaskets, etc. that could be the source of coolant getting into the engine oil.