PDA

View Full Version : E39 trans. question

bmwrp8
08-11-2007, 10:43 AM
A friend has a '99 523i e39 with tiptronic trans with only 90,000...question is when in "D" ,before it normaly shifts from 1st to second gear at around 1,800rpm but now the tranny will only shift from 1st to 2nd in 2,500 - 2,800 rpm...any thoughts? aside from that tranny shifts perfectly through every gear, no dreaded "trans program" and does not throw any codes...

Ferret
08-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Is your friend normally lead-footed?

If so the gearbox has probably learned that he likes to go tear-arseing around the place and probably is basically just in sport mode all the time.

bmwrp8
08-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Is your friend normally lead-footed?

If so the gearbox has probably learned that he likes to go tear-arseing around the place and probably is basically just in sport mode all the time.

no...he's always with his family...

bmwrp8
08-12-2007, 01:14 AM
anymore takers?

whiskychaser
08-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Dont know the box but I would be looking for low oil, iffy solenoid, any stored codes

bmwrp8
08-12-2007, 04:09 AM
Dont know the box but I would be looking for low oil, iffy solenoid, any stored codes

tom we'll change the lifetime atf and filter on the tranny...there were no codes stored in the tranny, but in the engine; codes where oxygen sensor and ICV but I guess those engine codes does not affect the transmission right?

Omega
08-12-2007, 12:59 PM
What happens if your friend manually shifts the box from 1 - 2 at 1800rpm? Does the box shift?

The first thing I'd try is the Shogun reset - remove battery leads from battery. Join leads together, switch ignition key to position 2 (?) and leave for 15 minutes. Please do a search for the actual procedure as this is off the top of my head, but it's something like that! This resets the tiptronic back to default mode.

The problem could be "learned" behaviour. I know that after a few days of "spirited" driving I have to manually shift mine a few times so that it changes at more sensible rpms.

Nah, the sport mode hangs on until over 6000 rpm in every gear. Apparently.... :p

Finally, what's your ambient outside temperature at the moment? When it gets cold the box holds onto first for longer so that the box oil can get warmed up. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

bmwrp8
08-13-2007, 08:43 AM
What happens if your friend manually shifts the box from 1 - 2 at 1800rpm? Does the box shift?

The first thing I'd try is the Shogun reset - remove battery leads from battery. Join leads together, switch ignition key to position 2 (?) and leave for 15 minutes. Please do a search for the actual procedure as this is off the top of my head, but it's something like that! This resets the tiptronic back to default mode.

The problem could be "learned" behaviour. I know that after a few days of "spirited" driving I have to manually shift mine a few times so that it changes at more sensible rpms.

Nah, the sport mode hangs on until over 6000 rpm in every gear. Apparently.... :p

Finally, what's your ambient outside temperature at the moment? When it gets cold the box holds onto first for longer so that the box oil can get warmed up. Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

We did a reset already still the same. When he puts it into manual mode it shifts even at below 2,000rpm, it's only when it's in D mode it does not shift from 1st to 2nd until its around 2,500-2,800 rpm