PDA

View Full Version : Brake fluid resevoir - mysterious part?

e34.535i.sport
08-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Just a very quick one, whilst removing some brake fliud from the resevoir i took the cap off, pulled out the filter type part (like a sieve) and it had a black rubber part lying in it (not the rubber washer) - unfortunately it is now lost under the engine somewhere and i can't find it. Ive been to the dealer they cant identify the part - does anyone know what it is and what it does? DO i need a new one????

Thanks.

bmwrp8
08-11-2007, 10:09 AM
Just a very quick one, whilst removing some brake fliud from the resevoir i took the cap off, pulled out the filter type part (like a sieve) and it had a black rubber part lying in it (not the rubber washer) - unfortunately it is now lost under the engine somewhere and i can't find it. Ive been to the dealer they cant identify the part - does anyone know what it is and what it does? DO i need a new one????

Thanks.

that might be the rubber floater for the "brake fluid low" sensor in the cap...just a guess

632 Regal
08-11-2007, 05:59 PM
realoem.com?

e34.535i.sport
08-12-2007, 02:37 AM
The floater sounds like a possibility, but i can't even remember what it looks like, and its not covered on realoem.com. Doesn't show a system like what i have.

All i have is the filler neck, which has a sieve style filter that sits on top (inside this is where the black rubber part was) and a rubber o-ring and then the cap.

Does anyone else with a 535i have this part? Or know what its purpose is?

bmwrp8
08-12-2007, 03:08 AM
The floater sounds like a possibility, but i can't even remember what it looks like, and its not covered on realoem.com. Doesn't show a system like what i have.

All i have is the filler neck, which has a sieve style filter that sits on top (inside this is where the black rubber part was) and a rubber o-ring and then the cap.

Does anyone else with a 535i have this part? Or know what its purpose is?

can take a pix?for comparison atleast

e34.535i.sport
08-12-2007, 04:06 PM
I can take a picture and load it on to my computer but not sure how to include it in a post? Do i have to host it online?

bmwrp8
08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
I can take a picture and load it on to my computer but not sure how to include it in a post? Do i have to host it online?

no need just save it in your pc then attach pix then browse...

e34.535i.sport
09-21-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm probably going to look very silly here, but i found out what it was... It was actually the clutch resevoir i was looking at! Can't believe it, what a fool-tool.

Thanks anyway guys, apologies on stupidity.

Bin_jammin
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM
I'm probably going to look very silly here, but i found out what it was... It was actually the clutch resevoir i was looking at! Can't believe it, what a fool-tool.

Thanks anyway guys, apologies on stupidity.

That's weird, if you were looking at the clutch reservoir, how do you explain the black thing I found in my brake reservoir? :)

e34.535i.sport
09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
That's weird, if you were looking at the clutch reservoir, how do you explain the black thing I found in my brake reservoir? :)

I was looking in the thin long upright pipe on the right of the car (looking from the drivers seat) and the brake resevoir is the more cuboid shaped box on the other side of the car!!! I'm sure that had a black thing in too, but not the same one?

This car will be the death of me i'm sure...