PDA

View Full Version : OT - firefox gurus!.

titanium25
08-10-2007, 04:28 PM
can somebody help me with this please! i get the message...

" Close Firefox "

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing firefox process, or restart your system. ":(

ive tried to use task manager to end the firefox process but i dont see it there. help would be appreciated as im now realizing again why i hate internet explorer. thanks in advance.

infurno
08-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Very strange, I don't recall that ever happening. Try this in order:

Double check to make sure there is no other process running under the processes tab of the task messanger named firefox.

Reboot your computer.

uninstall and reinstall firefox.

LunatiC
08-10-2007, 05:23 PM
A rebooting should fix the problem.

RichG
08-11-2007, 12:12 AM
can somebody help me with this please! i get the message...

" Close Firefox "

Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing firefox process, or restart your system. ":(

ive tried to use task manager to end the firefox process but i dont see it there. help would be appreciated as im now realizing again why i hate internet explorer. thanks in advance.

I've seen that message before, but just a couple of times. And when I looked at the task manager, firefox was already running. I just ended the process (or application...I forget), and started firefox back up. Didn't even have to reboot.

Not sure what caused it.

bmwrp8
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
had this msg. before, just restart your pc.

Ferret
08-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I've seen this problem when running Firefox on Linux - and it turned out that Firefox leaves a set of temporary lock files in place. Apparently it does it in windows sometimes too.

Sometimes when Firefox crashes, it leaves these files behind and you have to go and manually delete them... hit google with that message - there's lots of process guides knocking around.

NielsGalan
08-11-2007, 09:53 AM
Get a Mac.

Problem solved.

infurno
08-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Get a Mac.

Problem solved.

Not really. Im pretty sure Firefox wont run a second instance on a mac either since OSX is actually based on a unix kernel (related to linux). So its still possible to encounter the same problem.

can't right click either ;)

Ferret
08-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Not really. Im pretty sure Firefox wont run a second instance on a mac either since OSX is actually based on a unix kernel (related to linux). So its still possible to encounter the same problem.

Correct, this will happen on mac as well - doesnt really matter what OS, it'll still happen.

632 Regal
08-11-2007, 05:58 PM
in task manage click processes and close it out, in applications it wont shut down.

LunatiC
08-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Actually, you can. I'm doing it right now.

infurno
08-11-2007, 07:35 PM
it was a joke. Im a tech, I work with macs daily. The ones I work on don't have a right mouse button.