PDA

View Full Version : OT: 135? When was this announced...?

Ferret
08-10-2007, 09:09 AM
http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/video-bmws-turbocharged-1-series-coupe

filip00
08-10-2007, 10:49 AM
it's gonna have a DSC, that's LSD when it's turned off. brilliant!!

btw, it was announced about a month ago

markus
08-10-2007, 08:08 PM
im definatley going to save up for one of these.

markus
08-10-2007, 08:09 PM
any ideas what pricing will be?

infurno
08-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I was under the impression bmw generally didn't build cars/engines with a stock turbo. And I always liked that about them, from what I read there are a lot of good reasons for not using a turbo. I had always thought that turbos are a cheap hack to get extra power. Its fine when modifying a car for fun, but a good engineer could design an engine with no need for such a thing. One of the fastest bimmers the z4 M accelerates 0-60 in 4.9 with the S54B32 3.2L engine and from what I can find it has no turbo. Even the S70 engine powering the McLaren F1 was naturally aspirated.

Gordon Murray insisted that the engine for this car[McLaren F1] be normally-aspirated to increase reliability and driver control. Turbochargers and superchargers increase power but they increase complexity and can decrease reliability as well as the ability of the driver to maintain maximum control of the engine.

With that said, wouldn't a turbo no longer make it the drivers car?

I have never driven anything with a turbo, and maybe thats why im so skeptical.

M20Turbo
08-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Forced induction the only way to go.

I have never driven anything with a turbo, and maybe thats why im so skeptical.[/QUOTE]

t.wak
08-10-2007, 11:00 PM
I doubt BMW engineers skimp on skills when designing a turbo setup that retains the linear power of an engine. I'm sure the 335i is a fantastic, smooth car to drive, and can't wait for the 135!! What an awesome machine!

Robin-535im
08-10-2007, 11:07 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I was under the impression bmw generally didn't build cars/engines with a stock turbo.

They did have the 745 that was a stock turbo m30, but it has been a mainstay of BMW to offer high performance NA cars, which I agree has a certain beauty to it. Squeezing 100 HP per litre from an NA car is a respectable challenge, especially when you're over 2 litres.

I trust the BMW motorheads spent a long time designing it to be robust and powerful, and it's nice to see they have an open mind to trying new things.

Plus - hard to argue with, I forget the actual numbers, but something like 300 ft-lbs of torque from 800 to 4000 RPM?

infurno
08-10-2007, 11:17 PM
They did have the 745 that was a stock turbo m30, but it has been a mainstay of BMW to offer high performance NA cars, which I agree has a certain beauty to it. Squeezing 100 HP per litre from an NA car is a respectable challenge, especially when you're over 2 litres.
Obviously couldn't have said it better myself.

I trust the BMW motorheads spent a long time designing it to be robust and powerful, and it's nice to see they have an open mind to trying new things.
Thats a good point.

I don't mean to offend anybody. Was just curious.

94_e34_525i
08-11-2007, 01:29 AM
I think the biggest reason BMW came out with a turbo engine is because its seems to be a growing trend in the automotive industry to go turbo. But personally I prefer a NA engine anyway, to me it likes a painting, (takes alot of engineering) and a turbo engine is like a picture, (bolt on a turbo and your done). My opinion.

Barney Paull-Edwards
08-11-2007, 01:42 AM
335 has turbo, dont knock it till you`ve tried it! Even BMW like cheap power.

filip00
08-11-2007, 05:58 AM
this turbo engine is probably the one of the best ever....

-90% of its torque is already at 1200rpms
-it has 2 low pressure turbos which are used solely to make the power perfectly linear
-minimum fuel consumption

and the best of it all....

only 306hp, which can easily get up to 350 with minor chipping :D

RobPatt
08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
any maybe some US sites...

the 128 will go about $28K USD
the 135 will go about $35K USD

but there'll prob be a line at the dealer....

seems like the perfect sucessor to the E30, oddly enough, not priced that much more than my 87 325is was, which was about $27K when new...that's kinda cool.

but at 5 to 7 times the book value of Heidi (my E34), it ain't gonna give 5 - 7 times the pleasure...so think I'll keep my girl a while longer.

any ideas what pricing will be?

Bin_jammin
08-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but for some reason I was under the impression bmw generally didn't build cars/engines with a stock turbo. And I always liked that about them, from what I read there are a lot of good reasons for not using a turbo. I had always thought that turbos are a cheap hack to get extra power. Its fine when modifying a car for fun, but a good engineer could design an engine with no need for such a thing. One of the fastest bimmers the z4 M accelerates 0-60 in 4.9 with the S54B32 3.2L engine and from what I can find it has no turbo. Even the S70 engine powering the McLaren F1 was naturally aspirated.

I have never driven anything with a turbo, and maybe thats why im so skeptical.

Maclaren F1? Dude, technology marches on my friend, that car was High Tech maybe 10 years ago, there have been some serious improvements in Fuel Mangement, turbos, and related materials since then. Direct injection has come to fruition, ball bearing turbos have negated the need for twin turbos. In general it's a whole new generation of power these days.

Second, sure turbos are a way to add power, and any time you're going to add power to an engine you're going to reduce the lifespan, but do you really think a turbo engine is going to have less life than a rediculous high compression engine if they're both being driven the same way? Babying them will make them last, bullying them will make them wear.

Don't forget, the VW 1.8t has been around forever, I don't think anyone's accusing that of being anything other than difficult to work on. (As I'm currently beginning the job of removing the transmission from an 01 passat as we speak) In short, turbos are a great way of increasing the efficiency of a modern engine without having to resort to recockulous race parts.

infurno
08-11-2007, 12:19 PM
Sorry, I really didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Looking forward to see the 135 put against its competition :D