PDA

View Full Version : OT: well i got hired today :)

markus
08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
looks lie im now a nissan technician. time to put in my 2 weeks.

Macv
08-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Wooo Congratz!!

markus
08-09-2007, 05:14 PM
yep offered me the job right on the spot. hopefully can do my 5-speed conversion sooner now. do they make a lightweight flywheel for a 530i or o?

RobPatt
08-09-2007, 05:21 PM
....ain't yo daddy's Datsun anymore sonny... :D

Chris'91'525i
08-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Congrats....Congrats!!!!!!

I admire anyone that can stick it out as a auto tech.. Your a young buck though !

Twirled a wrench for 10 years as a pro....Between full time work, side work and work on my various projects.
Made hella good $$ .
You got to know your limits though, burn out is for real....

Hard to believe, but made the most $$ working at a Chevron gas station. I got everything over 5 book hours a day, and averaged 9 book hours a day per year.
Only benefits were late 1980's cash though :D . Thank you god for an honest boss too !

GoldenOne
08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
congratz!! now dont get fired ;)

takumidrift30
08-10-2007, 02:37 AM
Cheers mate! Goodluck and have fun at work!

Omega
08-10-2007, 02:43 AM
Well done Mark. All the best with the new job.

So how long before a Nissan turbo make it onto the BMW :-)

filip00
08-10-2007, 03:13 AM
that's great, congratulations!

markus
08-10-2007, 09:21 AM
thanks guys i really apprciate it. im starting off at a good rate and benefit and probly a raise after 90 days,

i will be getting paid flat rate plus hourly. im sarting at a good rate too. my boss also gives bonuses for how many hours you turn also. He thinks that if you are making the company money you should get paid more money. And of course after completing every level of nissan training ill be getting a raise too. I should really work on getting my ASEs too. BTW nissan school is in NJ and DC. So if anyone is in DC let me know and when I go down that way for training we can possibly meet up and have a beer or 2?

bsell
08-10-2007, 10:27 AM
thanks guys i really apprciate it. im starting off at a good rate and benefit and probly a raise after 90 days,

i will be getting paid flat rate plus hourly. im sarting at a good rate too. my boss also gives bonuses for how many hours you turn also. He thinks that if you are making the company money you should get paid more money. And of course after completing every level of nissan training ill be getting a raise too. I should really work on getting my ASEs too. BTW nissan school is in NJ and DC. So if anyone is in DC let me know and when I go down that way for training we can possibly meet up and have a beer or 2?

Congrats on getting a good-sounding job!

Can I second your motion of completing the ASE certs? Way back in the day (1985 to be exact) I got hired at a dealership that carried four car lines. They paid for all the ASE tests if I passed them. Hopefully your new boss will do the same. The tests were no joke back then and I bet they are even 'better' now.:( Having the ASE certifications can only help you make more money, at either this place or the next one (if there is one!).

We ASE Master Auto Technicians got paid 40% of the going labor rate the dealership charged. That was until the new car sales started tanking (thank you Audi 5000 unintended acceleration woes and 60 Minutes for running thier expose on this twice!) and the owner wanted to make some cash before selling the dealership. So they raised the labor rate but paid us the same $13/hour per flat rate hour turned. The only hourly I ever got was when I didn't turn enough hours one week to beat minimum wage. (Long story made short, I made a point about unfair job distribution. Yes, electrical jobs pay jack!)

I loved going to three differenet car lines' schools to hear everybody brag about turning 100 hours a week and not spending more than 25-30 hours physically in the shop. Porsche, Saab, or Subaru, it didn't matter. Either they moved like Flash Gordon, or I was working like a dunder-head. Or just maybe they charged for work not performed or lied about it all... Either way, I averaged, during good times, maybe 50-70 hours a week. More likely around high 50's to low 60's. Looking back, having to stay sharp on three different car lines got in the way of making better hours. So I figure you chasing only one car line is good news for your wallet.

Best of Luck,

Brian