PDA

View Full Version : tire opinions for rookie please

timandbim
08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks all for the helpful tips after my first post. it's nice to meet good people...
newbie post #2 - i need summer tires for my '89 525... i just bought it so i don't really know what i'm looking for (used to drive a van)... budget is fairly low (bodywork bill coming up) and i assume the suspension hasn't been messed with. i've done some research and i think i have narrowed it down to bridgestone fusions or g0009s (leaning towards g9s) but i'd be happy to hear any other suggestions. i don't drive daily (4k/summer maybe) and when i do it's usually short highway trips on our crappy quebec roads.
sizes too... i'll stick with the 15" wheels since i have them... and i was going to get 205/65s not 225/60s, mainly because it's less hassle to find and cheaper, and i don't really know what difference it would make. (my bmw driver's companion is on order, as is my bentley manual... i want them now!)
any screams of protest? feel free to let me have it... and thanks again

BMWDriver
08-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Salut !
My mechanic recommended Continental, rated H 225s width (top speed 210 km/h). I presently have Khumos, rated S 225 width(top speed 180 km/h). They are okay, and softer than H for a comfortable ride. Since I don't ever go beyond 180 (or 150 for that matter), there's no rush 'til they're dead. And they corner just fine when I feel like it.

Qube
08-08-2007, 02:23 PM
205 is awfully narrow for our cars.... Fuzion HRIs are good for the price and performance conscious... like $50 bucks a piece.

markus
08-08-2007, 04:27 PM
i have the general exclaim UHPs on my 540i. they look good, are quiet and cheap.

Zeuk in Oz
08-08-2007, 05:36 PM
225/60R15 is the size to use.

IMHO, you should never use speed ratings lower than V - mandated by law on these cars in Oz BTW.

I would suggest either Continental's Premium Contact 2 or my absolute favourite is Michelin's Pilot HX MXM if it is still available where you are - this is an absolutely awesome tyre.

Even if it means delaying some other work on your car, you should buy tyres you can't afford - they are the only thing keeping you attached to the road ! ;)

Russell
08-08-2007, 05:57 PM
quality 225x60 tires are getting more difficult to find as very few new tires are being made in this size. The 525i stock size in the US is 205x65x15.

The bridgestone g009s are excellent all season tires. However, I understand they are being phased out. My Turanzas LS-H tires have almost 60,000 miles on them with still 5.5 /32nds tread left.

Anyway, Make sure sure your tires summer or all-season are good in wet weather. Check Tirerack for recomendations.

Get really good tires. For example I am planning to put new wheels and tires on my car. I have a set of style 32s and plan to put 235x45x17s on. The leading candidate is Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology for over $1,000 US installed. The next candidate is Michelin Exalto AS at about $800 installed. I hate the price, but really good tires are very important on a daily commute car like mike

timandbim
08-08-2007, 07:01 PM
i certainly want good tires, i think the car is worth it to start with, but i'm not going to drive so fast... apologies, but i'm pretty conservative (behind the wheel at least). i totally love the car but i'm not sure i understand why i'd need high-speed high-performance tires over touring tires (or even passenger tires?) so long as the handling is the same when it gets slick... which is the only time i'm ever worried at all... i won't drive much but i will frequently have passengers... (even more than before, i'm guessing)
i didn't quite understand in your post, russell, if you were suggesting 205s or suggesting it just might be more difficult to find 225s (but maybe i should try cause they're... better handling? overall?) ... i think i can get a deal on either size... thanks again everyone so much... i can't believe i've been driving an old van for 10 YEARS!!!!!!

Russell
08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
i certainly want good tires, i think the car is worth it to start with, but i'm not going to drive so fast... apologies, but i'm pretty conservative (behind the wheel at least). i totally love the car but i'm not sure i understand why i'd need high-speed high-performance tires over touring tires (or even passenger tires?) so long as the handling is the same when it gets slick... which is the only time i'm ever worried at all... i won't drive much but i will frequently have passengers... (even more than before, i'm guessing)
i didn't quite understand in your post, russell, if you were suggesting 205s or suggesting it just might be more difficult to find 225s (but maybe i should try cause they're... better handling? overall?) ... i think i can get a deal on either size... thanks again everyone so much... i can't believe i've been driving an old van for 10 YEARS!!!!!!

Basically, H rated tires will be fine. Most often they will also wear longer than a v, s or w rated tire. Either 205 or 225s will fit your car. The tire manufacturers are just not coming out with tires in 225 size so you choice of brands and performance levels will be be fewer. That is the primary reason I am going to 17 inch wheels.